A perfect appetizer for your New Years Eve bash (or the next game day), these vegan loaded sweet potato skins are packed with cashew cheese, beans, tomato & green onion.
Am I the only one that thinks New Years Eve is over-hyped? Living in a big city like Boston, ads for NYE parties that come along with a hefty price tag.are constantly thrown in my face. Why pay $300 for a night with mediocre food and a 30-minute line to get a drink at the bar? I don’t get it. Maybe it’s my age talking, but this year, I’d much rather sit down with Steve and close friends and have a relaxing night with good homemade food and drink. And a champagne toast at midnight, obvi.
When thinking of an appetizer that would be as colorful as NYE is, I thought of my most popular recipe of 2014, the loaded vegan sweet potato with green goddess dressing. Inspired by the loaded sweet potato, I thought why not make some sweet potato skins?
When I was younger and ate meat, I remember really enjoying potato skins (with bacon). And once I went veg, I couldn’t find vegetarian potato skins on menus for the life of me. I rarely eat white potatoes these days so I figured I would make my own veg-friendly sweet potato skins, fit for any party, from a NYE bash to a Super Bowl Sunday party!
I found these super easy to make and was excited to use cashew cheese in this recipe as it’s a delicious natural vegan alternative for cheese. Making cashew cheese is as easy as saying 1-2-3-food-processor! Seriously, you throw all your ingredients into the food processor, and you’re done!Print
For the cashew cheese:
- 3/4 cup raw cashews
- 1/4 cup filtered water
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 tbsp dijon mustard
- 1/8 cup white miso paste
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/8 tsp white pepper
- 1/8 tsp salt
For the sweet potato:
- 5 small sweet potatoes
- 3/4 cup cashew cheese
- 1/2 jalapeño pepper, minced
- 1 tomato, diced
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup black beans, rinsed
- Optional: vegan sour cream
For the cashew cheese:
- Combine all ingredients into a food processor and pulse until combined and smooth texture. Add more water as necessary to achieve desired consistency.
For the sweet potatoes:
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Pierce sweet potatoes with a fork in several places. Bake for 45-60 minutes or until fork tender.
- Remove from oven and let cool for 15 minutes.
- Using a knife, cut sweet potatoes lengthwise into two equal halves. Scoop out flesh, leaving a thin layer of sweet potato intact.
- Transfer sweet potato flesh to a medium mixing bowl and mash with cashew cheese until combined and smooth consistency.
- Scoop sweet potato/cashew cheese mixture back into the sweet potato skins. Bake again at 375 degrees for 15 minutes or until skins are crispy and mixture is hot.
- Remove skins from oven and top with beans, tomatoes, jalapeño, and green onions.
- Optional: Serve with vegan sour cream for dipping or dolloping.
Cheesy mashed sweet potato goodness with a crispy, crunchy exterior. What more can you ask for? A dollop of vegan sour cream went a long way on these bad boys too.
For more NYE appetizer and cocktail ideas, don’t miss my round-up of 31 festive NYE recipes!
Happy (almost) New Year!