A perfect appetizer for game day! These healthy sweet potato skins are crispy, filling, satisfying, and vegan friendly!
- 5 small sweet potatoes, scrubbed and dried
- 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon olive oil, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup vegan sour cream
- 1/2 cup black beans
- 1 small or 1/2 large tomato, diced (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 jalapeño pepper, minced (about 3 tablespoons)
- Optional: 1/2 cup shredded vegan cheese
- For topping: extra vegan sour cream and sliced green onion
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Pierce sweet potatoes with a fork. Rub potatoes with 1 teaspoon olive oil and 1/8 teaspoon salt.
- Bake potatoes until fork tender, abut 40-45 minutes. Let cool until cool enough to handle.
- Slice potatoes in half lengthwise. Scoop out the inside of the potatoes, leaving about 1/4-inch of potato as the shell, and transfer the scooped out flesh to a medium mixing bowl.
- Brush the inside and outside of the skins with remaining olive oil.
- Bake skins for another 10 minutes or until start to get crispy.
- In the meantime, mash the sweet potato flesh in the mixing bowl using a fork or potato masher until smooth and creamy. Add sour cream, beans, tomatoes, jalapeño, and remaining salt to the mixing bowl and mix to combine.
- Fill the insides of skins with sweet potato and bean mixture. Top with shredded vegan cheese if using.
- Bake until skins are crispy, filling is warm and cheese is melted, about 10-15 minutes.
- Garnish with additional sour cream and green onion, as desired. Serve immediately.
- If you are vegetarian, you can use dairy sour cream or Greek yogurt instead of vegan sour cream. You can also top with shredded cheddar cheese instead of a non-dairy alternative.
- If you use larger sweet potatoes, be sure to add more of the mix in ingredients – sour cream, beans, tomatoes, jalapeño and salt.
- This recipe can be gluten-free but be sure to double-check the labels if you are using vegan sour cream and vegan cheese as some brands contain wheat.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 60 minutes
- Category: Appetizer
- Cuisine: Healthy
Keywords: healthy sweet potato skins, vegan sweet potato skins, healthy loaded sweet potato skins