The ultimate vegan loaded sweet potato – packed with kale, black beans, and topped off with a homemade green goddess dressing. Perfect for a quick and easy weeknight meal. I’m excited to bring some new life today to the most popular recipe on my blog, including a brand new video (see below)!
This recipe was created on a whim a few years ago. Steve was working late and I was left to fend for dinner by myself. I wanted something that fit the following criteria:
- Fit for a table of one
- Warm, comforting & grounding (in Ayurveda, root vegetables like the sweet potato are thought to be grounding – I talk more about Ayurveda principles in Nourish Your Namaste)
- Easy to make
- Filling & satisfying
- Delicious (obvs)
I had sweet potatoes and kale at home already so I was inspired to build on that and create the ultimate loaded sweet potato. At first, I bought Annie’s Green Goddess Dressing (and that would be a great substitute if you don’t want to DIY) but the next time I made these I went all out and made my own homemade (vegan) Green Goddess Dressing, chock full of all the fresh herbs and silky avocados. I love hearing from you guys about how much you dig this recipe. I think one of the reasons it’s so popular is because it’s satisfying (hearty, different textures and flavor components) AND satiating (meaning it’s going to fill you up thanks to the fiber, healthy fats and plant-based protein!).I just can’t get enough of the sweet flavor from the sweet potato, the savory component of the garlicky kale and the tanginess and creaminess of the green goddess dressing. No wonder it’s my go-to weeknight meal for the fall and winter months when I gravitate towards root vegetables!Print
The ultimate vegan loaded sweet potato – packed with kale, black beans, and topped off with a homemade green goddess dressing. Perfect for a quick and easy weeknight meal.
- 4 medium sweet potatoes
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 bunch kale, chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- Green Goddess Dressing to serve
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Using a fork, poke multiple holes into sweet potatoes. Place potatoes in oven and bake for about 45-60 minutes, or until tender.
- In the meantime, heat olive oil over medium-high heat in medium saucepan. Add garlic and cook for 60 seconds, or until fragrant. Add kale and toss to coat. Add 1/4 cup water and cover for 3-5 minutes. Remove cover, toss kale, reduce heat to low, and cook for another 10-15 minutes, or until kale is desired texture, adding more water as needed. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Cut sweet potatoes in half lengthwise. Top with sautéed kale, beans and Green Goddess Dressing.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Category: Easy
- Method: Roasting
- Cuisine: Vegan
Keywords: vegan loaded sweet potato, vegan sweet potato, sweet potato with black beans, sweet potato with green goddess dressing
What are some of your favorite sweet potato toppings or pairings?
This post was originally published in October 2014. The recipe has been completely retested and photos updated (and video added!) to give you the most delicious and beautiful content!