A vegetarian’s dream! Roasted Buffalo cauliflower wings with blue cheese dressing created by a true Buffalo, NY native. Tastes just like Buffalo wings!
When I became a vegetarian 15 years ago, I didn’t miss much in the way of meat. Much. There were a few select foods that I still salivated over upon smelling. Buffalo wings was one of them.
Growing up in Buffalo, NY, I am recognized for one of two things. Snow or buffalo wings. Buffalo wings originated in Buffalo, NY (hence the name) and were created by the Anchor Bar in the 1960’s. As Buffalo legend has it, they were created by a last-minute quick improv of tossing ingredients together to make a snack for their family and friends. They were a hit and the restaurant started serving them on their menu in 1964.
Well, I stumbled upon these Buffalo cauliflower wings in a similar fashion. My intention was to make a roasted cauliflower steak because they’re just so hot right now. But, alas, as the cauliflower crumbled in my hands and the hot sauce beckoned me from the fridge, I knew what I had to do.
These turned out to be finger lickin’ good. Literally. I lost count of the number of times I licked my fingers while eating these. I breaded the cauliflower before roasting them and tossing them in the hot sauce. And I swear, they tasted just like buffalo wings. If you don’t believe me, ask Steve. He couldn’t get over how good these were. He told me I was allowed to quote him for the blog and preface him as my carnivore, meat-loving fiancee. So my carnivore, meat-loving fiancee said, “if you close your eyes, they taste just like Buffalo wings.” He’s from Buffalo, NY too. Just for the record. 😉
He’s right. The spicy hot sauce + crispy breading + tangy blue cheese dressing = I might as well have been back home in Buffalo. Minus the snow.
- 1 head of cauliflower, cut into bite sized florets
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup Frank's hot sauce
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup crumbled blue cheese
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp white wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp milk
- 1/8 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Combine flour, paprika, garlic powder, and salt in a bowl. Toss cauliflower florets in flour mixture and shake to remove excess before placing onto baking sheet.
- Bake for about 15 minutes and using a spatula, flip florets over and bake for another 5 minutes, or until browned.
- In the meantime, in a small sauce pan over low heat, melt butter and hot sauce and stir to combine. Toss florets in the hot sauce mixture and serve hot.
- Serve with blue cheese dressing.
- In a small bowl, add sour cream, blue cheese, vinegars, milk, and salt and stir to combine. Let set in the refrigerator for about 15 minutes.
To make this vegan friendly, swap out butter with Earth Balance spread. And use my Vegan Blue Cheese Dressing.
I don’t know about you but the Superbowl is just a few weeks away and I’m thinking these Buffalo bites are going to knock the socks off of my friends at halftime. Serve these boys up with some celery sticks and blue cheese dressing and you’re sure to have a hit.
Just be warned, these do get messy. But what’s a football party without a little mess?
Check out these burgers for more finger-licking good buffalo sauce: