One of my favorite veggie burger recipes! These Buffalo Chickpea Veggie Burgers are spicy and satiating and delicious topped with my creamy cashew-based blue cheese dressing.
It’s not a coincidence that I have a few Buffalo-flavored recipes on my blog – read: buffalo cauliflower wings, buffalo cauliflower wing dip, and this burger. Beyond just loving the flavor, I great up in Buffalo, NY, home of the OG buffalo wings and buffalo sauce. It’s funny in Buffalo, we just call them wings, whereas everywhere else in the world refers to them as buffalo wings.
But who doesn’t love a good buffalo flavor on top of wings, pizza, burgers, in a dip, you name it. It’s spicy and buttery and I just can’t get enough. Which is why I created a veggie burger that packs some Buffalo heat.
This burger is made with chickpeas and quinoa as the base so it’s packed with plant-based protein and totally satiating. It’s got flavor boosters like shallot and garlic, miso (for umami!) and of course, Frank’s hot sauce.I originally created this recipe years ago when I was taking a hiatus from dairy hence the vegan blue cheese dressing so feel free to top it with your own blue cheese sauce and skip the cashew-based sauce. But if you’re vegan or dairy-free, you’re going to love this “blue cheese” dressing. It took me a few tries to get it right but it’s definitely drool-worthy on top of this burger.
I topped these burgers off with some lettuce, tomato, avocado, and of course the vegan blue cheese dressing, and they were PERF. Enjoy with some summer sides and maybe a tall cold one.Print
For the burgers:
- 1/3 cup dry quinoa (1 cup cooked)
- 1 tablespoon flaxseed
- 1 15.5 ounce can chickpeas (aka garbanzo beans), drained and rinsed (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup minced shallot
- 1 large carrot, peeled and grated
- 1/3 cup quinoa flakes (rolled oats would work too)
- 1/3 cup hemp seeds
- 1/4 cup Frank’s hot sauce (or any Buffalo sauce but Frank’s is the best)
- 2 teaspoons white miso paste
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 6 hamburger buns
For the “blue cheese” dressing:
- 1 cup cashews, soaked in 1 1/4 cup water for at least 30 minutes
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon white miso paste
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon dried dill weed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup water
Optional, for serving:
- Extra Frank’s hot sauce
For the burgers:
- Cook quinoa according to instructions on the package.
- In the meantime, stir flaxseed and 3 tablespoons water in a small bowl
- add chickpeas to a food processor, and pulse to a powder-like consistency.
- In a large bowl, add the ground chickpeas, quinoa, garlic, shallot, carrot, quinoa flakes, hemp seeds, Frank’s, miso paste, and the flax egg. Mix ingredients together and use the back of a fork to mash the mixture until thick and pasty. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Mix together. With clean hands, press mixture down to form a round.
- Refrigerate, covered, for 30 minutes. Form into six patties, squeezing and packing the mixture together.
- Add olive oil to a cast iron grill pan over medium heat. Add burgers and cook for about 4 minutes, flip, and cook for another 3-4 minutes or until exterior is crispy and browned.
- Serve burgers on bun with “blue cheese” dressing and desired toppings.
For the “blue cheese dressing”:
- Add soaked cashews, white vinegar, nutritional yeast, lemon juice, miso paste, garlic powder, onion powder, dill weed, and salt to a food processor or blender and puree on high speed. While running, slowly add water to achieve desired smooth and creamy consistency.
- Top burgers with dressing.
- Prep Time: 45 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Burgers
- Method: Grilling
- Cuisine: Vegetarian
Keywords: veggie burgers, vegetarian, vegan, chickpea, buffalo, blue cheese, dressing
This recipe was retested, reshot and revamped to bring you the most delicious (and most beautiful) dish! The original post was published in March 2014.