For the burgers:
- 1/3 cup dry quinoa (1 cup cooked)
- 1 tablespoon flaxseed
- 1 15.5 ounce can chickpeas (aka garbanzo beans), drained and rinsed (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup minced shallot
- 1 large carrot, peeled and grated
- 1/3 cup quinoa flakes (rolled oats would work too)
- 1/3 cup hemp seeds
- 1/4 cup Frank’s hot sauce (or any Buffalo sauce but Frank’s is the best)
- 2 teaspoons white miso paste
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 6 hamburger buns
For the “blue cheese” dressing:
- 1 cup cashews, soaked in 1 1/4 cup water for at least 30 minutes
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon white miso paste
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon dried dill weed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup water
Optional, for serving:
- Extra Frank’s hot sauce
For the burgers:
- Cook quinoa according to instructions on the package.
- In the meantime, stir flaxseed and 3 tablespoons water in a small bowl
- add chickpeas to a food processor, and pulse to a powder-like consistency.
- In a large bowl, add the ground chickpeas, quinoa, garlic, shallot, carrot, quinoa flakes, hemp seeds, Frank’s, miso paste, and the flax egg. Mix ingredients together and use the back of a fork to mash the mixture until thick and pasty. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Mix together. With clean hands, press mixture down to form a round.
- Refrigerate, covered, for 30 minutes. Form into six patties, squeezing and packing the mixture together.
- Add olive oil to a cast iron grill pan over medium heat. Add burgers and cook for about 4 minutes, flip, and cook for another 3-4 minutes or until exterior is crispy and browned.
- Serve burgers on bun with “blue cheese” dressing and desired toppings.
For the “blue cheese dressing”:
- Add soaked cashews, white vinegar, nutritional yeast, lemon juice, miso paste, garlic powder, onion powder, dill weed, and salt to a food processor or blender and puree on high speed. While running, slowly add water to achieve desired smooth and creamy consistency.
- Top burgers with dressing.
- Category: Burgers
- Method: Grilling
- Cuisine: Vegetarian
Keywords: veggie burgers, vegetarian, vegan, chickpea, buffalo, blue cheese, dressing