Not sure what to do with the garlic scapes you got in your CSA or at the farmer’s market? Make my super easy garlic scape pesto! Delicious on bread, pasta, veggies, proteins, aka all the things.If you’re wondering what in the name are garlic scapes, you’ve come to the right place. Garlic scapes are the stalks that grow from the bulb of the garlic plant. They are usually harvested before they flower so the plant can channel all its energy into producing the most flavorful garlic bulb. Scapes have a mild garlic taste and are perfect if you want to add some garlic flavor to a meal.Scapes look wild and curly and tangled. If I could be any food, it would be a garlic scape. Because they’re wild and unruly and don’t give AF about conforming to mainstream plant standards ;).
If you’re unsure how to use garlic scapes in the kitchen, let me give you a few ideas:
- substitute them for scallions (green onion) or chives in any recipe
- use them to add mild garlic flavor to a recipe
- finely dice and add to scrambled eggs with goat cheese (my personal fave)
- make them into a pesto!
This pesto only calls for 6 ingredients! Garlic scapes, basil, walnuts, parmesan cheese, lemon juice, and olive oil. Blend together in a food processor or high-speed blender and voila! This pesto is delish on all the things. Sandwiches, pasta, bread, eggs, fish, chicken, veggies, you name it. Plus, it’s easy to make a big batch and then freeze in an ice cube tray so you can pop it out when you need it!Print
Not sure what to do with the garlic scapes you got in your CSA or at the farmer’s market? Make my super easy garlic scape pesto! Delicious on bread, pasta, veggies, proteins, aka all the things.
- 1 bunch or 10-13 garlic scapes (about 1 cup chopped)
- 1/2 cup packed basil
- 1/2 cup walnut pieces
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice (from 1/2 lemon)
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- In a high speed blender or food processor, add garlic scapes, basil, walnuts, parmesan cheese, lemon juice and pulse until combined.
- With the blender or food processor running, stream in the olive oil. Scrape down the sides of the blender and continue blending as needed until the olive oil is emulsified and the pesto looks uniform.
- Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Category: Sauce
- Method: Blender
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: pesto, garlic scape