Air fryer whole chicken is super crispy on the outside and juicy on the inside. Only one hour of hands-off cook time and you’ve got chicken for days!There’s nothing better than extra crispy chicken. But frying a chicken in a bat of oil sounds messy and kind of dangerous (I can see the splattering oil burning my skin now).
Enter the air fryer! It’s SO easy to fry a whole chicken in the air fryer. It only requires a few steps and an hour of cook time (maybe less, depending on the size of your chicken!).
My husband said this the best chicken we’ve ever cooked. EVER. And if my husband is excited about how a dish turns out, I know you will be too.
Ingredients You’ll Need
Notes on Ingredients
Whole Chicken: Make sure the size of your chicken will fit in the size of your air fryer first. For reference, we cooked a 5 lb chicken in a I use a Phillips XXL Air Fryer with 3 lb / 4 qt capacity. (Affiliate link – at no additional cost to you, I will earn a small commission if you click through and make a purchase)
Seasoning: We like Bosari seasoning for chicken. Their original and citrus varieties are perfect on poultry, meat, even seafood. I recommend using your seasoning of choice for this recipe. Ideally some combination of salt, dried herbs, and pepper.
How to Make Chicken in the Air Fryer
Step 1: Pat chicken dry with paper towels and place on a clean surface. Remove giblets from cavity. You can save or freeze giblets to make broth at a later time.
Step 2: Rub seasoning all over chicken.
Step 3: Place chicken, breast-side down, in air fryer. Set temperature to 350 degrees F.
Step 4: Set air fryer timer to 50 minutes. After 50 minutes, flip chicken over and cook for another 10 minutes, or until chicken has an internal temperature of at least 165 degrees F.
Step 5: Remove chicken and let rest for 10 minutes before serving.
Expert Tip: Be sure to check the size of the chicken you are buying to ensure it will fit in your air fryer!
How long does it take to make chicken in the air fryer?
It takes about one hour for a 5 lb chicken, maybe less for a smaller bird.
What size air fryer do you need to cook a whole chicken?
We have a Phillips XXL Air Fryer that has a 3 lb / 4 qt capacity and we are able to fit a 5 lb chicken in there. If you have a smaller air fryer than 3 lb / 4 qt, I’d recommend getting a smaller chicken around 3 or 4 lbs.
What is breast-side down for chicken?
How it’s pictured below with the legs tucked underneath, not facing up.
Do the legs need to be tied together?
I don’t think it’s necessary. Some will tell you this will help keep the chicken more moist but ours was super juicy and moist without tying them.
What can you serve a whole chicken with?
Anything! I’d recommend serving it with a starch and vegetable. Here are some ideas:
- mashed potatoes and green beans
- roasted potato salad and corn and tomato salad
- butternut squash and kale
- air fryer baked potatoes and broccoli
- Caprese pasta salad with pesto and green salad
- cornbread and no mayo coleslaw
How do you make your own chicken seasoning?
Use a combination of salt, pepper, spices and dried herbs such as onion powder, garlic powder, and paprika.
For more air fryer inspiration, check out my recipes below!
If you like this recipe, please be sure to give it a 5 star rating below. If you make it, share it on instagram and tag me @karalydonrd and I’ll re-share it with my followers! If you want to save this recipe for later, be sure to pin it on Pinterest!Print
Air fryer whole chicken is super crispy on the outside and juicy on the inside. Only one hour of hands-off cook time and you’ve got chicken for days!
- 1 5lb. whole chicken, giblets removed
- 2 tablespoons poultry seasoning
- On a clean surface, pat chicken dry using paper towels. Remove giblets from cavity.
- Rub seasoning all over chicken.
- Place chicken, breast-side down, in air fryer. Set temperature to 350 degrees F.
- Set air fryer timer to 50 minutes. Flip chicken over and cook for another 10 minutes, or until internal temperature is at least 165 degrees F.
- Remove and let rest for 10 minutes before serving.
- You can save or freeze giblets to make broth at another time.
- We have a Phillips XXL Air Fryer that has a 3 lb / 4 qt capacity and we are able to fit a 5 lb chicken in there. If you have a smaller air fryer than 3 lb / 4 qt, I’d recommend getting a smaller chicken around 3 or 4 lbs.
- If using a smaller or larger chicken, adjust amount of seasoning used accordingly.
- Category: Chicken
- Method: Air Fryer
Keywords: air fryer whole chicken, air fryer chicken recipe, whole chicken recipe