These Instant Pot vegetarian baked beans are a quick and easy way to get delicious baked beans on the table at your next cookout!
Baked beans are a delicious source of plant-based protein. There’s no arguing that. But if you told me I have to spend all day long cooking them, like 6 hours in the oven, I’d laugh in your face. Especially in the summertime! Who wants their oven on for that long?! We’re already cranking the A/C in our house and it’s not even July yet!
Enter the glorious Instant Pot. Here to save us from our oven woes. Pre-soaked beans only take about an hour in the Instant Pot to cook (we’re talking total time here). I’ll take that over a sweltering home any day! Plus, since I live in Boston, aka Beantown, it feels only appropriate that I should have a baked beans recipe on the blog.
Sweet and savory, soft and creamy, these beans are the exact texture and flavor you’d hope for in a baked bean. With all of this jam-packed flavor, you’d think it had been cooking for hours on the stove.
Serve these babies up with your BBQ fare at your next cookout, aka 4th of July next week!Print
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 lb. great northern beans, soaked overnight*
- 1 small yellow onion, diced (about 1 1/4 cup)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup tomato paste
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons liquid smoke
- 1 tablespoon vegan worcestershire sauce (like Annie’s)
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Turn Instant Pot on and set to sauté function. Add olive oil and onion and cook until translucent, about 5-7 minutes. Add garlic and sauté until fragrant, about one minute.
- Add beans, broth, tomato paste, molasses, brown sugar, liquid smoke, worcestershire sauce, dijon mustard, chili powder, smoked paprika and salt. Stir to combine.
- Secure lid onto Instant Pot. Close the steam vent (should be on sealing). Set to high pressure for 20 minutes. Allow natural pressure release for 20 minutes.
- Remove lid. Turn on sauté function and let simmer until thickened, about 15 minutes.
- For 1 lb beans, soak in 6-8 cups water overnight, or at least for eight hours. Drain before use. Pre-soaking overnight produces the best results!
- For quick soak method, add beans, 8 ounces water and 1 teaspoon salt to Instant Pot. Set to high pressure for 25 minutes. Allow natural pressure release. Drain.