- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 lb. great northern beans, soaked overnight*
- 1 small yellow onion, diced (about 1 1/4 cup)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup tomato paste
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons liquid smoke
- 1 tablespoon vegan worcestershire sauce (like Annie’s)
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Turn Instant Pot on and set to sauté function. Add olive oil and onion and cook until translucent, about 5-7 minutes. Add garlic and sauté until fragrant, about one minute.
- Add beans, broth, tomato paste, molasses, brown sugar, liquid smoke, worcestershire sauce, dijon mustard, chili powder, smoked paprika and salt. Stir to combine.
- Secure lid onto Instant Pot. Close the steam vent (should be on sealing). Set to high pressure for 20 minutes. Allow natural pressure release for 20 minutes.
- Remove lid. Turn on sauté function and let simmer until thickened, about 15 minutes.
- For 1 lb beans, soak in 6-8 cups water overnight, or at least for eight hours. Drain before use. Pre-soaking overnight produces the best results!
- For quick soak method, add beans, 8 ounces water and 1 teaspoon salt to Instant Pot. Set to high pressure for 25 minutes. Allow natural pressure release. Drain.