Breakfast that takes less than five minutes to make…in a mug! This vegan banana french toast in a mug is an easy way to have a weekend breakfast on a weekday morning. Are you a mug person?
I like me a good mug for a steamy cup of coffee or tea but I don’t ever use it as a cooking medium. However, lately it seems everyone is about cooking with a mug. Chocolate cake in a mug. Blueberry muffins in a mug. Pancakes in a mug. Mugs are making a serious comeback. Almost as serious as when JT made a solo comeback. Almost.
And I’m down with hopping on the mug train for a ride. If it means less dishes used and an easier cleanup, why not?! Especially since the bane of my existence right now is the fact that our apartment does not have a dishwasher. I repeat. I am a food blogger and recipe developer who does not have a dishwasher. Ok, #bloggerproblems. I know. Not a big deal in the grand scheme of life. But boy, oh boy, do I despise doing dishes 383273x a day. So, all hail the mug which saves me extra dishes to clean.
Although warm dessert in a mug sounds pretty tempting, I opted for a quick weekday breakfast that would make it feel like a Saturday or Sunday. French toast. Banana French toast. Vegan-friendly.And the verdict on the mug? Awesome! It tasted like warm, banana-y, bread-y goodness. Not crispy like you would get in a skillet, but still pretty damn tasty. And I’ll take not crispy for five minutes with one less dish to clean on a weekday morning. And if you want a crispy vegan french toast, check out my easy vegan french toast recipe!
This recipe is packed with nutrients like fiber, potassium, vitamin C and B vitamins. It’s filling and satisfying and will make you believe that it’s the weekend for a quick second. Until you open up your email. 😉
- 1/2 tablespoon vegan buttery spread
- 1 thick slice of day old bread, cubed
- 1/2 ripe banana, mashed
- 1/4 cup coconut milk beverage
- 1/2 tablespoon ground flaxseed
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Optional toppings: maple syrup, powdered sugar, banana slices
- Grease a microwave-safe mug using the buttery spread.
- Add bread cubes to the mug to fill all the way up to the top.
- In a small bowl, whisk together mashed banana, coconut milk, flaxseed, vanilla and cinnamon. Let sit in the refrigerator for 10-15 minutes to set.
- Pour liquid into the mug over the bread cubes, making sure the liquid reaches all the way down to the bottom.
- Microwave on high for two minutes.
- Optional: top with powdered sugar, banana slices, and maple syrup.
Tell me, what have you cooked in a mug? Are you on the mug train forever?
Check out these recipes below for more banana breakfast ideas: