Gluten-free quick bread never tasted better! This gluten-free chocolate chip zucchini bread is out of this world. Super moist but not too dense, and the chocolate chips and walnuts provide just the right amount of sweetness and satisfying texture!
We’ve been in zucchini overload in our house with our CSA. Our haul changes a bit week to week depending on what the farm is harvesting but zucchini is basically a guarantee at this point. And here’s the issue at hand – I’m not a huge zucchini person. I don’t love it simply roasted or sautéed so I’m forced to find more creative outlets for it like zucchini fritters, zucchini black bean tacos, pumpkin zucchini bread, and truffle parmesan zucchini chips.
Lately, I’ve been experimenting in the kitchen with a gluten-free zucchini bread. This is not to say that gluten is “bad” or gluten-free is “better”, it’s just an option if you need it. If not, just make this the old-fashioned way with all-purpose flour.
This bread took me a few attempts but it was totally worth it to get it juuuuuust right. I learned a bit about gluten-free baking too: search for a 1:1 gluten-free flour so you don’t have to worry about adding ingredients like xantham gum (the 1:1 flours typically contain it), use an electric mixer when mixing the batter to incorporate more air into it to help it rise, and extend the baking time. I love a good challenge and this recipe taught me a thing or two about baking gluten-free goods. Like when the first batch was essentially raw in the middle no matter how long I baked it for ;).
This bread is delicious with butter spread on top or just plain. I’ve been having it as a mid-afternoon snack at the office or as a pre-breakfast :). My parents were in-town last weekend and they both try to follow a gluten-free diet because of sensitivities. They tried my bread and couldn’t believe it was gluten-free! They loved it.
Make this bread your own! Sub in your nut of choice or leave ’em out all together. Use the chocolate chips or don’t (but DO). Use regular flour or gluten-free flour. No applesauce? Use all oil. Maybe you double the recipe and throw one loaf in the freezer!Print
Gluten-Free Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bread
- Total Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
- Yield: 1 loaf 1x
- 1 large zucchini, grated (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1 1/2 cups 1:1 gluten-free flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup oil
- 1/4 cup applesauce
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease 9×5-inch loaf pan.
- Using a cheese cloth or clean kitchen towel, squeeze to press out any excess moisture from the grated zucchini.
- In a large bowl, whisk together dry ingredients: flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. In a medium bowl, whisk together wet ingredients: egg, sugars, oil, applesauce, lemon zest and vanilla.
- Add the zucchini to the dry ingredients. Pour wet mixture over top and mix well using an electric mixer, about 2-3 minutes. Fold in chocolate chips and walnuts. Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees F until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean, about 60-65 minutes.
- Let cool in pan for about 10 minutes and then turn out onto wire rack to cool completely.
- Electric mixer allows you to incorporate more air into the batter which helps gluten-free breads to rise
- Bring all wet ingredients to room temperature before adding (eggs, applesauce)
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 60 minutes
- Category: Bread
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: Quick Bread
Keywords: zucchini bread, gluten-free
I made this today and it was so yummy! Easy to make and it came out pretty moist! I added chocolate chips only. Will defjnately make this again!
Hi Mattie – so glad to hear you enjoyed it! Yay!