Breakfast that takes less than five minutes to make…in a mug! This vegan banana french toast in a mug is an easy way to have a weekend breakfast on a weekday morning. Are you a mug person?
I like me a good mug for a steamy cup of coffee or tea but I don’t ever use it as a cooking medium. However, lately it seems everyone is about cooking with a mug. Chocolate cake in a mug. Blueberry muffins in a mug. Pancakes in a mug. Mugs are making a serious comeback. Almost as serious as when JT made a solo comeback. Almost.
And I’m down with hopping on the mug train for a ride. If it means less dishes used and an easier cleanup, why not?! Especially since the bane of my existence right now is the fact that our apartment does not have a dishwasher. I repeat. I am a food blogger and recipe developer who does not have a dishwasher. Ok, #bloggerproblems. I know. Not a big deal in the grand scheme of life. But boy, oh boy, do I despise doing dishes 383273x a day. So, all hail the mug which saves me extra dishes to clean.
Although warm dessert in a mug sounds pretty tempting, I opted for a quick weekday breakfast that would make it feel like a Saturday or Sunday. French toast. Banana French toast. Vegan-friendly.And the verdict on the mug? Awesome! It tasted like warm, banana-y, bread-y goodness. Not crispy like you would get in a skillet, but still pretty damn tasty. And I’ll take not crispy for five minutes with one less dish to clean on a weekday morning. And if you want a crispy vegan french toast, check out my easy vegan french toast recipe!
This recipe is packed with nutrients like fiber, potassium, vitamin C and B vitamins. It’s filling and satisfying and will make you believe that it’s the weekend for a quick second. Until you open up your email. 😉Print
- 1/2 tablespoon vegan buttery spread
- 1 thick slice of day old bread, cubed
- 1/2 ripe banana, mashed
- 1/4 cup coconut milk beverage
- 1/2 tablespoon ground flaxseed
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Optional toppings: maple syrup, powdered sugar, banana slices
- Grease a microwave-safe mug using the buttery spread.
- Add bread cubes to the mug to fill all the way up to the top.
- In a small bowl, whisk together mashed banana, coconut milk, flaxseed, vanilla and cinnamon. Let sit in the refrigerator for 10-15 minutes to set.
- Pour liquid into the mug over the bread cubes, making sure the liquid reaches all the way down to the bottom.
- Microwave on high for two minutes.
- Optional: top with powdered sugar, banana slices, and maple syrup.
Tell me, what have you cooked in a mug? Are you on the mug train forever?
Check out these recipes below for more banana breakfast ideas:
I’m a nutrition coach and yoga teacher helping people to learn to love food again. I love cooking, taking pictures of my food and traveling around the world. Follow my blog for delicious, seasonal vegetarian recipes and simple strategies to bring more yoga and mindfulness into your life. And check out my e-book to learn how to improve your health through nutrition and yoga. Show me what deliciousness you make! Tag me @karalydonRD on Instagram.