These healthy gingerbread pancakes are a delicious addition to a holiday brunch and perfect for a lazy weekend winter morning. Fluffy buttermilk pancakes made with whole-wheat flour and packed with warming spices like ginger, nutmeg, and cinnamon.When I think of fall flavor, I think of pumpkin and apple. When I think of Thanksgiving, I think of thyme and rosemary. And when I think of the holidays, all I can think about is GINGERBREAD.
And so I start thinking about what plain jane dish could be gingerfied. And then it hit me. PANCAKES.
It’s pretty rare that I make pancakes on the weekend because (a) I’m feeling lazy or (b) I’m hungry and don’t feel like waiting longer to eat breakfast. It’s usually eggs or egg sandwiches for Steve and I. So pancakes are definitely a special treat for us. And the gingerbread twist quadrupled its specialness. This recipe would make for a delicious and festive addition to your holiday brunch menu or if you’re like me, a delicious addition to your weekend breakfast lineup :).Print
- 2 eggs
- ¼ cup molasses
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 2 cups white whole-wheat flour
- ½ tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- Maple syrup for serving
- In a large mixing bowl, add eggs, molasses, and buttermilk, and whisk to combine.
- In a medium mixing bowl, mix together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg and allspice until combined.
- Slowly add dry mixture to the wet, whisking just until mixtures are combined.
- Heat butter on a large skillet over medium-low heat.
- Add ¼ cup of pancake mixture to the skillet, leaving space in between pancakes. Cook for 3-5 minutes, or until air bubbles begin to form on the surface. Flip over and cook for another 3-5 minutes, until browned.
- Serve with maple syrup
This post was originally published in December 2014 but has been updated and revamped to give you the most delicious and beautiful content!
Tell me, have you tried Gingerbread Pancakes before? Are you in a gingerbread love affair too? Check out these other gingerbread infused recipes:
I’m a nutrition coach and yoga teacher helping people to learn to love food again. I love cooking, taking pictures of my food and traveling around the world. Follow my blog for delicious, seasonal vegetarian recipes and simple strategies to bring more yoga and mindfulness into your life. And check out my e-book to learn how to improve your health through nutrition and yoga. Show me what deliciousness you make! Tag me @karalydonRD on Instagram.