Turning a favorite Thanksgiving side dish into a time-saving, stress-free, no bake dish! This Instant Pot Green Bean Casserole has all the flavor you love, ready in a fraction of the time.
Here’s the deal. I love homemade green bean casserole. Like from scratch. We’re talking béchamel sauce, the whole nine yards. But on Thanksgiving, sometimes I only have like three yards in me, not nine. Because there’s so much food prep to think about on Thanksgiving, my motto is spend the time where it’s worth it (i.e. turkey and mashed potatoes IMO) and find time savers for the rest.
Enter, the Instant Pot. I’m a big fan of taking advantage of slow cookers and Instant Pot’s on Thanksgiving as it saves precious oven space, which is a hot commodity on Thanksgiving, let’s be real.
So I decided to take my beloved homemade green bean casserole recipe and tweak it to make an Instant Pot version. The verdict is:
- full of flavor – think garlic, umami, and thyme
- still creamy and rich tasting
- great texture from the crispy fried onions
- ready in about 30 minutes
- no oven space necessary
- less than 5 minutes of prep time
- worthy of a Thanksgiving table
This Thanksgiving, we’re heading back to Buffalo as we do every year to spend time with both of our families. I’m not looking forward to the eight hour drive but I am excited to spend some time at home with family and friends as I haven’t been back to Buffalo as much this year compared to year’s past.
What are your go-to veggie side dishes for Thanksgiving? Tell me in the comments below! And if you make this, I’d love to hear your thoughts!Print
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lb. sliced cremini mushrooms (Baby Bella mushrooms)
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 fresh thyme sprigs (or 1 teaspoon dried thyme)
- Salt and pepper
- 2 lbs. green beans, washed and trimmed
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 cup crispy fried onions
- Set Instant Pot to Sauté function for 7 minutes. Add olive oil and let heat for 1-2 minutes. Add mushrooms and sauté for remainder of time, about 5 minutes, turning mushrooms over halfway through.
- Stir in butter, garlic and thyme and set to Sauté for 1 minute, or until butter is melted. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add green beans and vegetable broth. Secure lid onto Instant Pot. Close the steam vent (should be on sealing). Set to high pressure for 3 minutes.
- In the meantime, in a small mixing bowl, whisk together cream, milk, parmesan cheese, and cornstarch.
- After pressure cook is finished, use quick release valve to release steam.
- Once pressure is released, open lid and drain out liquid.
- Stir in cream mixture and set to Sauté for 1-2 minutes, or until mixture begins to bubble and thicken.
- Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Pour out into casserole dish. Top with crispy fried onions.
- Optional: Place casserole dish under broiler until onions are browned, about 1-2 minutes.
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: Thanksgiving
Keywords: holiday, thanksgiving, instant pot, green bean casserole, vegetarian