Ready in about 30 minutes, this Instant Pot Green Bean Casserole has all the flavor you love in your favorite Thanksgiving side dish but is ready in a fraction of the time! No oven space needed!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lb. sliced cremini mushrooms (Baby Bella mushrooms)
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 fresh thyme sprigs, chopped (about 1 1/2 teaspoons)
- Salt and pepper
- 2 lbs. green beans, washed and trimmed
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 cup crispy fried onions
- Set Instant Pot to Sauté function for 10 minutes. Add olive oil and let heat for 1-2 minutes. Add mushrooms and sauté, stirring every few minutes, until browned and tender, about 8 minutes.
- Stir in butter, garlic and thyme and set to Sauté until butter is melted, about 1-2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add green beans and vegetable broth. Secure lid onto Instant Pot. Close the steam vent (should be on sealing). Set to manual high pressure for 3 minutes.
- In the meantime, in a small mixing bowl, whisk together cream, milk, parmesan cheese, and cornstarch.
- After pressure cook is finished, use quick release valve to release steam.
- Once pressure is released, open lid and drain out remaining broth / liquid.
- Stir in cream mixture and set to Sauté until mixture begins to bubble and thicken, about 1-2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Pour green beans into casserole dish. Top with crispy fried onions.
- Optional: Place casserole dish under broiler on low until onions are browned, about 1-2 minutes.
- Green bean casserole leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days.
- You can make the green bean casserole up to three days in advance and store it covered in the refrigerator. Let the dish cool before storing in the fridge. When you’re ready to reheat, let it sit out at room temperature for 30 minutes then bake, covered with foil, at 350 degrees F until warmed throughout, about 15-30 minutes. Top with fresh crispy fried onions.
- To freeze: let the casserole cool completely and cover with plastic wrap and foil and freeze up to two weeks. To serve, preheat oven to 350 degrees F, remove plastic wrap and foil. Cover with new foil and bake until heated through, about 45 minutes. Uncover, top with fried onions and bake until casserole is bubbling, about 20 more minutes.
- If you can put your oven broiler on low to brown the onions, do so. Or be sure to check every minute so they don’t burn!
- Be sure to drain out the extra broth after green beans have pressure cooked so that you don’t end up with a soggy casserole!
- Prep Time: 3 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: Thanksgiving
Keywords: instant pot green bean casserole, green bean casserole in instant pot