A delicious appetizer for the upcoming holidays, these butternut squash and cranberry hemp crostini are sure to wow your guests. This post is sponsored by Manitoba Harvest Hemp Foods. Thanks for supporting the brands and organizations that make TFD possible. As always, opinions are my own!
I canNOT believe Thanksgiving is ONE week away! Is it just me or did it totally sneak up on you this year too?
As we do every year, Steve and I will be heading back to Buffalo, NY to spend the holiday with our families. Not sure what’s on the menu this year but I’m sure my Mom will be calling me to consult right after she reads this blog post today ;). And I will tell her these butternut squash and cranberry hemp crostini are a must!First of all, I love crostini as an appetizer. Probably because 1. I love fresh baked bread. 2. I love when fresh baked bread is thrown in the oven to get crispy. 3. You can dress them up for any occasion, like Thanksgiving. Because nothing says T-giving day like squash and cranberries. And as ya’ll know, I love cooking with hemp and the holidays are no exception. Hemp adds a delicious nutty component to your favorite dishes, not to mention a protein, omega-3 and fiber boost! Not sure where to start? Finish off soups, salads and roasted vegetable dishes with a drizzle of hemp oil and garnish with a sprinkling of hemp seeds.
Or, start with this crostini recipe! You’ll love the creamy spread (made better for you using Greek yogurt!), the sweet winter squash, the tart cranberries and the nutty hemp all brought together with the crunchy toasted baguette. Roast the butternut squash ahead of time to save you prep time on the actual holiday!
- 1 French baguette, cut into ½ inch slices
- 1 ½ tablespoons + 1 teaspoon Manitoba Harvest Hemp Oil, divided
- ¼ teaspoon salt, divided
- ¼ teaspoon pepper, divided
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 shallot, minced (about 1 tablespoon)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh sage
- ½ small butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cut into ½ inch cubes (about 2 ½ cups)
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 4 ounces goat cheese
- ½ cup dried cranberries
- 1 tablespoon Manitoba Harvest Hemp Hearts
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Lightly brush both sides of bread with 1 ½ tablespoons hemp oil and sprinkle with 1/8 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper. Transfer bread to two baking sheets and bake for 8-10 minutes, flipping slices over halfway through.
- In a medium nonstick pan, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add shallot and sage and cook for 30-60 seconds. Add butternut squash, spread out in a single layer and cook for 5 minutes, stirring once. Lower heat to medium and cook for another 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until squash is tender and sides are browned. Season with remaining salt and pepper. Let cool.
- In a medium mixing bowl, blend yogurt, goat cheese and 1 teaspoon hemp oil together using a hand mixer or transfer to a food processor and pulse until creamy and smooth.
- To assemble the crostini, generously spread yogurt mixture on top of baguette and add a spoonful of butternut squash mixture (approx. 4 cubes). Top with dried cranberries and Hemp Hearts.
Try my other holiday hemp recipes below!