A delicious and easy dish, this grilled hemp pesto peach flatbread is perfect to fire up on the grill to satisfy your guests during a summer weekend celebration.
Disclosure: This post was sponsored by Manitoba Harvest Hemp Foods. Thanks so much for supporting brands that align with my values and help make TFD possible!
The three day holiday weekend is almost here! For the past few years, Steve and I have created an unintentional tradition of hunkering down on hill outside the city, packing wine and picnic foods, creepily watching all the adorable babies (and dreaming about when we will have some of our own) and of course, watching the fireworks. We’ll likely do the same this year (as I can’t imagine doing anything else at this point – we always have such a nice time) and I can’t wait to pack the recipe I’m going to share with you today. It’s the perfect dish for a summer weekend celebration. I also can’t believe that this is my last weekend at home before I leave for Switzerland!!! I’m totally not prepared right now (from my type A standard). Yes, I have my flights and lodging booked but everything in between (transportation, restaurants and activities are TBD). Hoping I have some time this weekend to solidify everything before I leave next Friday. Have any of you been to Switzerland before? If so, please leave me some recommendations in the comments section! I’ll be in Zurich, Lucerne, Gimmelwald, Geneva and Annecy (France). So grateful to have another trip with my traveling soul sisters (the ladies I went to Thailand and Cambodia with) before we all get married over the course of the next year!
Anywho, back to the recipe. Flatbread pizzas are one of my favorite things to eat. Scratch that. Pizza is one of my favorite things to eat. I love that you can customize it for whatever the occasion may be, the season it is, or simply what your tastebuds desire. Plus, it’s one of those comfort foods that can easily be made healthy. For more on how to make a healthy pizza, check out my blog post on Pizza Made Healthy (and don’t judge too hard on the pictures – it was six years ago! LOL). And bonus points, in the summer, you can grill pizza! You don’t have to worry about turning on the oven and heating up your already scorching kitchen. Plus, the taste profile is not to be ignored. The best pizza is one made in the hottest oven possible (hence wood fired pizza ovens) and grills can get much hotter than your oven, giving you that ultra satisfying crisp, charred bite. This flatbread pizza is intended to be grilled but you can totally make it in the oven if you don’t have a grill at home (see recipe note). This pizza is healthified using whole-wheat naan bread as the dough (hello, timesaver!), piling it high with fruit and veggies, topping it off with a pesto made with Manitoba Harvest Hemp Oil and Hemp Hearts (seeds) – a good source of protein, omega 3s and fiber. I love making hemp pesto – you may remember my Caprese Pasta Salad I made with it last year!
This flatbread is seriously drool-worthy. Salty, savory pesto is contrasted with sweet, grilled peaches and peppery arugula. And the creamy mozzarella and extra drizzle of hemp oil brings it all together.
If you’re looking for an easy appetizer or main that you can make outside on the grill for your fourth of July celebrations this weekend, this. is. it.
- 1 cup basil leaves
- 2 tablespoons Hemp Oil
- 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons Hemp Hearts
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 small or ½ large garlic clove
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, plus more for grilling
- 2 ripe yellow peaches, pitted and sliced into ½-inch wedges
- 1 package whole-wheat naan bread (4 pieces)
- 4 ounces mozzarella, sliced thin and quartered
- 2 cups arugula
- Extra Hemp Oil and Hemp Hearts for garnish
- In a food processor, add basil, Hemp Oil, Parmesan cheese, Hemp Hearts, lemon zest, garlic, 1/8 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper and pulse until smooth.
- Preheat grill to medium heat; clean and lightly oil grill.
- Lightly brush peach slices with oil and grill for 3 minutes on each side, or until you see grill marks form. Remove peaches from grill and set aside.
- Working in batches if necessary, lightly brush naan with olive oil and sprinkle with 1/8 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper. Grill naan bread for 1-2 minutes, or until grill marks form. Flip bread over, spread on pesto and top with grilled peaches and mozzarella. Cover and grill until cheese melts, about 3-5 minutes.
- Remove flatbread from grill and top with arugula and extra Hemp Oil and Hemp Hearts as desired. Serve immediately.
If you would like to use an oven instead, preheat oven to 400 degrees F and prebake naan for 5 minutes, or until slightly crispy. Use a grill pan to grill peaches. Top flatbread with pesto, grilled peaches and mozzarella and bake for 5 minutes, or until cheese starts to melt. Place flatbread under the broiler for 1-2 minutes, or until cheese just starts to brown (watch closely to avoid burning the naan).
Tell me, what are your fourth of July plans? Any grilled recipes on the menu for this weekend?
For other Fourth of July recipes, check out the ones below!
I’m a nutrition coach and yoga teacher helping people to learn to love food again. I love cooking, taking pictures of my food and traveling around the world. Follow my blog for delicious, seasonal vegetarian recipes and simple strategies to bring more yoga and mindfulness into your life. And check out my e-book to learn how to improve your health through nutrition and yoga. Show me what deliciousness you make! Tag me @karalydonRD on Instagram.