Ultra hearty and satisfying, this Easy Instant Pot Vegetarian Chili Mac is the perfect game day meal, just in time for the Super Bowl! Have I told you how much I love my Instant Pot (affiliate link) lately? As evidenced by my last recipe for Easy Vegetarian Chili. I took that chili recipe and modified it to make it heartier…and cheesier. Enter CHILI MAC!
For the 60-second video on how to make this recipe, watch the video below!
I haven’t had anything remotely close to chili mac since I was a kid and my grandmother used to make Hungarian goulash. I remember not caring for it that much but chili mac is 238309x better. We’ve eaten it twice in the last few weeks now (the joys of recipe testing) and have loved every bite.Before intuitive eating, I probably would have had some thoughts or beliefs about this dish. Like chili AND pasta, now that seems indulgent. But now I’m able to see this as a balanced meal. Pasta, beans, tomatoes, onions, peppers, and cheese. Ultimate macronutrient (carbs, protein and fat) package there!
Not to mention the satisfaction factor! OH MAH GAWD. It’s so hearty and satisfying, which makes it perfect for a Super Bowl dish. And since it takes 5 minutes to cook in the Instant Pot, it will be super easy to make (and clean up!) for your Super Bowl party.I made this with both regular elbow pasta and whole-wheat elbows and I liked the whole-wheat better. I thought it provided a little more nuttiness and satiety but you can use whichever speaks to you! If you’re vegan, omit the cheese or add non-dairy meltable cheese. If you’re not vegetarian, you can easily add some ground beef and leave out the black beansd.
I love how the cheese adds a level of creaminess to this dish. Top it off with some cilantro and a dollop of Greek yogurt (or sour cream) and you’re good to go!We’re heading over to our friend’s house on Sunday to watch the game and I have a feeling this dish will be making an appearance :). What are your plans for the big game? Anyone else in it just for the food and commercials, or is that just me?Print
Ultra hearty and satisfying, this Easy Instant Pot Vegetarian Chili Mac is the perfect game day meal, just in time for the Super Bowl!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, minced*
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon chipotle powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 15 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 15 ounce can tomato sauce
- 1 15 ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 15 ounce can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 8 ounces whole-wheat elbow pasta
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded monterey jack cheese
- Optional toppings: Greek yogurt, cilantro
- Add olive oil to Instant Pot and set to sauté function for 1 minute to allow oil to heat up. Add onion, bell pepper, jalapeno pepper, chili powder, cumin, chipotle powder and salt and stir to combine. Set sauté function for 5 minutes. Add in garlic and set to sauté for 1 minute.
- Add diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, black beans, kidney beans, elbow pasta and vegetable broth and stir to combine.
- Secure lid onto Instant Pot and set to pressure cook/manual for 5 minutes.
- Use quick release valve to release steam.
- Once pressure is released, open lid and stir in cheeses until melted and combined.
- Optional: serve with chopped cilantro and dollop of Greek yogurt.
This recipe has some kick to it! Be sure to remove the ribs and seeds of the jalapeno pepper to make it less spicy. Or, you can always leave it out if you’re not feeling the heat!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: Vegetarian
Keywords: vegetarian, instant pot, chili mac
What are you making in your Instant Pot lately?