The perfect guilt-free, sweet treat for Valentine’s Day – these dark chocolate raspberry hemp truffles are packed with nutrition, contain no added sugar, but taste super indulgent!
Caaaaaan you feel the loooooove tonight?
Feel that? It’s my love for chocolate. Valentine’s Day. Steve. And hemp seeds. All wrapped into one little truffle.
For me, food is love. No other way around it. Every time I make dinner or a treat for Steve and I, I’m really serving up my love on a silver platter (except it’s not really silver because who uses silver platters anymore?).
For Valentine’s Day this year, rather than buy each other gifts, we’re going skiing together to give each other our quality time (read: no cell phone zone!). But you know you can’t go away on a romantic trip together without a little chocolate to tag along. Which is why I made these drool-worthy, guilt-free truffles to bring with us to Vermont.
I love using hemp seeds in cooking (remember my Buffalo Quinoa Chickpea Burgers?) because they’re so versatile and packed with nutrition. And in addition to hemp seeds, Manitoba Harvest now sells hemp protein powders! Making it even easier to pack hemp protein into your day. They have three varieties:
- HempPro 70 – highest protein option (Original flavor packs in 20g per 1oz serving) and it’s water soluble so you can add to your morning latte or smoothie, give it a shake, and go!
- HempPro 50 – your best bet for a one-two punch of protein AND fiber. 15g protein and 7g fiber in a 1oz serving.
- HempPro Fiber – 13g of fiber packed into 1oz serving. Hellooooo, healthy digestive tract!
These taste great in smoothies and can also be used in baking and desserts. You betcha I snuck some chocolate flavored hemp protein powder into these truffles. Protein packed truffles = V-Day WIN!Print
- 1 cup raspberries
- 1 cup Medjool dates, pits removed (approximately 10 dates)
- 1 cup chopped raw pecans
- 5 tbsp Manitoba Harvest Hemp Hearts
- 3 tbsp raw cocoa powder
- 3 tbsp Manitoba Harvest Chocolate Hemp Pro70 (hemp protein powder)
- 1 tbsp maca powder
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1 tbsp + 1 tsp coconut oil
- 1 tsp coarse sea salt
- Using a blender or food processor, puree raspberries and strain through a cheesecloth or sieve, discarding the seeds. Set raspberry puree aside.
- In a food processor, add dates, pecans, Hemp Hearts, cocoa powder, Hemp Pro70, and maca powder, and pulse until combined and crumb-like consistency. Transfer to a medium bowl and fold in the raspberry puree.
- Roll mixture into 1-inch balls and place onto wax paper or parchment-lined baking sheets. Store in freezer for 20 minutes, until chilled.
- In the meantime, melt chocolate chips and coconut oil in a small saucepan over low heat.
- Remove truffles from freezer and place the balls, one at a time, into the melted chocolate until coated. Remove and return truffles to parchment-lined baking sheets.
- Sprinkle one or two flakes of salt over the top of each truffle.
- Store in the refrigerator to keep chilled.
If vegan, make sure the dark chocolate chips are in fact dairy-free.
I love how these are the perfect pop of sweet and super satisfying! My sweet tooth cravings are totally satisfied after having just one of these truffles. Dark chocolate + raspberry + sea salt = any chocolate lover’s dream.