St. Patty’s Day comes and goes quickly, but the Recipe Redux is celebrating the “patty” all month long. This month’s challenge was to create a healthy burger or patty of sorts. The challenge was pretty timely because I just made my very first homemade veggie burger about a month ago – Julie Morris’ Black Bean Hemp Protein Patty from SuperFood Kitchen. I even made them at Steve’s request! He loves burgers, whether they contain meat or they’re veggie-friendly – an equal opportunity patty enthusiast!
So, when push came to shove this month and I was prodded to create an original patty from scratch, I immediately thought of my patty critic – Mr. Steve. I thought about what flavors I could bring out in the burger that he wouldn’t be able to resist, and then it hit me, Buffalo! No, not the animal.
Steve and I grew up in Buffalo, NY, home of the original Buffalo wings, and home to Buffalo sauces galore. One of Steve’s favorite foods from his childhood is buffalo chicken wing dip, and I knew that if I made a Buffalo-flavored burger, it would take him home.
I’ve also been cutting back on my dairy consumption since my trip to Thailand. While I was there, I unintentionally didn’t eat much dairy at all and noticed my allergies significantly improve. So, I said sayonara to my daily Allegra pills (along with dairy) and haven’t looked back since. With this change in my diet, I’ve been playing around with cashew cheese alternatives. I recently made an avocado cashew sour cream to dollop on black bean and sweet potato chili. For the Buffalo-inspired burgers, I wanted to create a blue cheese cashew dressing to bring it all together.Print
For the patties:
- 1c cooked quinoa
- 1 1/2c chickpeas (garbanzo beans)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4c shallot, minced
- 1 large carrot, grated
- 1/3c quinoa flakes
- 1/3c hemp seeds
- 1/4c Frank’s hot sauce (any Buffalo sauce can be substituted)
- 2tsp white miso paste
- pinch of sea salt
- pinch of white pepper
- 6 hamburger buns
For the “blue cheese” dressing:
- 1c cashews
- 4 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 5 tsp nutritional yeast
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp white miso paste
- 1/8 tsp garlic powder
- 1/8 tsp white pepper
- 1/8 tsp sea salt
- 1 cup water
- Green leaf lettuce
- Avocado, sliced
- Extra Frank’s hot sauce
For the Patties:
- Cook quinoa according to instructions on the package. In the meantime, add chickpeas to a food processor, and pulse to a powder-like consistency.
- In a large bowl, add the ground chickpeas, quinoa, garlic, shallot, carrot, quinoa flakes, hemp seeds and miso paste. Mix together and use the back of a fork to mix the miso and mixture together. Add Frank’s hot sauce, salt and white pepper and mix together. With clean hands, knead mixture and press down to form.
- Refrigerate, covered, for 30 minutes. Form into 6 patties, squeezing and packing the mixture together. Use a George Foreman grill and cook for about 4-5 minutes, or until browned. If you don’t have a George Foreman, cook in a nonstick frying pan with a small amount of olive oil for about 4-5 minutes on each side, or until browned.
- For the “blue cheese dressing”:
- Soak cashews in 1 1/4c water for 30 minutes.
- Add cashews and remaining ingredients, except water, to a food processor or blender and puree on high speed. Add water, 1/4c at a time, to achieve desired smooth and creamy consistency. You may need more or less than 1c water. Top burgers with dressing.