Friday Foodie Dietitian Favorites – my faves for the week – recipes, mindfulness, and inspiration.
TGIF! Happy Friday ya’ll.
On TFD This Week
Fried Avocado Tacos with Creamy Jalapeno Sauce via An Avocado A Day (avocado tacos are the bestest)
Green Goddess Overnight Oats via The Muffin Myth (digging the addition of spirulina powder to make these oats super green!)
Grapefruit Smoothie with Berries and Mint via Marisa Moore Nutrition (love how this smoothie hints at spring but still uses winter citrus! Perfect for this seasonal transition)
Banana Chocolate and Peanut Butter Swirl Bread with Pecan Praline via Healthy Nibbles and Bits (that pecan praline doe)
Vegan Korean Nourish Bowl with Barley (Bibimbap) via MJ and HungryMan (this nutritious bowl definitely lives up to its nourish name)
Fave Mindfulness Inspiration
Love Has No Labels via HelpsGood.com (this powerful video will make you laugh, cry, and have any other emotion humanly possible)
Blind Devotion via Jubilee Project (I’m not sure if I was on a tear-jerking video kick this week or what but this video made me sob like a baby. It’s beautiful and heart-wrenching at the same time and makes you realize what true love really looks like and that actions speak much louder than words. Just get out the tissues before you watch it.)
4 Keys to Responding Instead of Reacting via Elephant Journal (how often are you too quick to react instead of simply responding —> solutions to ground yourself before reacting)
Life Updates & Gratitude
- I’m grateful for the courage I mustered to travel to Europe this summer and the support I received both tangible (looking at you boy who graciously transferred his travel points to me) and intangible – the love and support. I’m psyched that in June I’ll be heading to Ireland, Paris, and Barcelona! [insert hands in the air emoji here]
- Grateful for a fun dinner with good food, friends, and conversation last Sunday and the excuse to get our apartment clean and in order!
- Grateful for the patience I cultivated to teach myself how to edit videos in iMovie.
- Grateful for my dietitian colleagues who are joining forces to speak out about the decision by The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics to allow the Kids Eat Right logo on food packaging. Disappointed, frustrated, disheartened are all understatements to how I felt when I saw the NYT article surface this week which basically alerted dietitians to this decision that none of us had any prior knowledge of. I believe in the power of dietitians. The power of our profession. Which is why I volunteer my little spare time to serve on one of the Academy’s dietetic practice groups. But when the Academy pulls a move like this, it makes us all even those who volunteer our time for the organization question our involvement and membership. The Academy claims that placing the logo on Kraft Singles was not an endorsement but no matter what their intention was, we (dietitians) perceive it as an endorsement, and so will the public. As a food blogger and nutrition consultant, I whole-heartedly believe in transparency and disclosing relationships I have with companies on my blog and social media and I expect the same transparency from the Academy. I also expect for the Academy to have OUR (dietitians) best interest at heart. To protect and elevate our reputation rather than bring us down. I am participating in the #RepealTheSeal campaign to show my disagreement with the Academy’s recent decision to allow the Kids Eat Right logo onto food packaging. I invite my fellow colleagues and bloggers who share this opinion, or who support this campaign, to also post this open letter on their own blog, to sign the petition at change.org and/or to use #RepealTheSeal hashtag via social media.
- I’m off to sunny Florida on Sunday for Oldways’ Supermarket Symposium on behalf of The Mushroom Council (client). Looking forward to warmer temps and soaking up some vitamin D.
Happy weekend ya’ll! xo
I’m a nutrition coach and yoga teacher helping people to learn to love food again. I love cooking, taking pictures of my food and traveling around the world. Follow my blog for delicious, seasonal vegetarian recipes and simple strategies to bring more yoga and mindfulness into your life. And check out my e-book to learn how to improve your health through nutrition and yoga. Show me what deliciousness you make! Tag me @karalydonRD on Instagram.