This month’s Recipe Redux theme couldn’t be any more timely given that Thanksgiving is…tomorrow!
We were challenged to share the story of our favorite vintage family side dish and create a healthier, as delicious version!When I heard vintage side dish, I knew exactly what to makeover. Our centuries old family recipe for broccoli cauliflower casserole that makes an appearance every Thanksgiving without fail. And without fail, it’s loaded with butter and Velveeta. I have very fond memories of eating Velveeta as a kid any time I went over to my Grandma’s. Ah, the good ol’ days :).
I was definitely up for the challenge to healthify this vintage casserole dish. All it took was less butter, some Greek yogurt, whole-wheat breadcrumbs and not Velveeta cheese.The original recipe called for:
- 1/3 c margarine
- 1/4 lb Velveeta
- 8oz pkg frozen broccoli
- 8oz pkg frozen cauliflower
- Crushed Ritz crackers (1/2 sleeve?)
And here’s your makeover, ladies and gents!Print
- 8oz fresh broccoli
- 8oz fresh cauliflower
- 3 T butter
- 1/4 c whole-wheat breadcrumbs
- Pinch of flour
- 4oz Shredded mild cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup milk
- Grease a casserole dish and sprinkle layer of breadcrumbs on bottom of dish.
- Steam broccoli and cauliflower but be careful not to overcook.
- Meanwhile, start to make the sauce by melting butter in a small sauce pan on high heat. While whisking, add a pinch of flour then add in cheese slowly. Add milk. Once the cheese has melted, take the pan off the heat and add in Greek yogurt.
- Combine sauce with broccoli and cauliflower and add to the casserole dish. Sprinkle the remaining bread crumbs on top. Bake for 25 minutes at 350 degrees.
Bon Appetit and Happy Thanksgiving!
In the holiday spirit, check out all the other Recipe Reduxers’ vintage side dishes by clicking on the link below.
I’m a nutrition coach and yoga teacher helping people to learn to love food again. I love cooking, taking pictures of my food and traveling around the world. Follow my blog for delicious, seasonal vegetarian recipes and simple strategies to bring more yoga and mindfulness into your life. And check out my e-book to learn how to improve your health through nutrition and yoga. Show me what deliciousness you make! Tag me @karalydonRD on Instagram.