Looking for a fun DIY Christmas gift? This Peppermint Hot Chocolate Mix in a Jar is the perfect gift for the holidays. Easy to make and oh-so-delicious to receive!
Is it even winter if you haven’t had a hot chocolate yet?? NOPE. There’s something about rich, velvety chocolate in its coziest form – warmed over the stovetop. It still reminds me of being a kid and coming inside after an afternoon of playing in the snow. Hot cocoa was always waiting to warm me up.
Now you can give that sweet, soul-warming gift to someone you love this holiday season. You can make a handful in a matter of minutes, infusing your TLC into each and every one.
How to Make Peppermint Hot Chocolate Mix
All you need is four ingredients: cocoa powder, sugar, chocolate chips, and candy canes (or crushed peppermint candy). You’ll need mason jars – 8 ounce or 16 ounce, depending on how many servings you want them to make. The 8-ounce jars make 2-3 servings and the 16-ounce jars make 4-5 servings. I recommend getting some twine or ribbon and tying it around the jars with a printed tag. I designed my tags on Canva in about one minute. You can also include instructions on the back about how to make hot chocolate using the mix.
How to Make Peppermint Hot Chocolate on the Stovetop
Shake the mason jar so that all ingredients are combined. Combine 1/4 cup mix with 1 cup milk (or non-dairy milk alternative) over medium-low heat, whisking until chocolate and peppermint has melted, about 5 minutes.
Serve the hot chocolate with marshmallows (you could even squeeze some mini marshmallows in the jar as part of the mix!) or with whipped cream and extra crushed peppermint on top.
If you’re feelin a little spicy, you could also throw a splash of bourbon in there for a boozy peppermint hot chocolate drink!
To make peppermint hot chocolate mix:
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup + 1 tablespoon crushed peppermint candies (about 2 candy canes)
- Optional: mini marshmallows to fill in any space at the top
To make peppermint hot chocolate:
- 4–5 cups milk (or non-dairy milk alternative)
- 1 (16 ounce) mason jar of peppermint hot chocolate mix
- Optional: marshmallows or whipped cream
For the peppermint hot chocolate mix:
- In a 16-ounce mason jar, layer the following ingredients: cocoa powder, sugar, chocolate chips, crushed peppermint. Optional: top it off with mini marshmallows if there’s extra room at the top.
- Tie mason jars with ribbon or twine and a tag.
To make peppermint hot chocolate on the stovetop:
- Shake content of the mason jar (minus marshmallows if you used them) until combined.
- Add contents of jar and milk to small sauce pan over medium-low heat. Whisk regularly until chocolate chips and peppermint have melted, about 5 minutes.
- Pour into mugs and (optional) garnish with mini marshmallows or whipped cream.
How to make peppermint hot chocolate in the slow cooker:
Add contents of jar to the slow cooker with milk and set to low for ~ 2 hours, or until everything is melted. Stir to combine.
- Category: Holiday
- Method: DIY
- Cuisine: Beverage
Keywords: peppermint, hot chocolate, DIY, mason jar, holiday gift, Christmas gift
Tell me, are you making any DIY gifts this holiday season?