This asparagus and leek quiche is the perfect quiche for spring packed with seasonal produce and made with double the protein for some serious staying power.
Quiche. It’s what’s for dinner.
But really though, I forgot how easy it is to make a quiche. It’s like 15 minutes of prep time, you throw it in the oven and go about your business for an hour and then voila, dinner is served. It’s super convenient for a weeknight meal. Or, you can do what I did which was make a quiche for Sunday brunch and then have leftovers for dinner during the week.
I love baked egg dishes like quiche or frittata because I look at them as a vehicle to get in more veggies! Did you know that vegetables are trendy? I kid you not. Last year, Forbes Magazine named veggies one of the top 12 hottest food trends. And because of that we’re seeing more vegetables pop up in every day meals, replace meat as a center plate item (cauliflower steak, I’m looking at you), and even fused into unsuspecting menu items like desserts (beet frosting, anyone?). So, stay trendy people and go forth and eat your veggies.
This quiche highlights spring vegetables that are now in season and packs in double the protein with the addition of cottage cheese. Pair a slice of this quiche with an arugula salad with my lemon balm vinegar and olive oil, and you’re good to go!Print
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 bunch asparagus, tough ends trimmed and thinly sliced (roughly 2 cups)
- 1 leek, white and light green parts only, thinly sliced
- ¼ teaspoon salt, divided
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper, divided
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup cottage cheese
- ½ cup 2% milk
- ½ cup shredded Gruyere cheese
- 9-inch prepared pie crust
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Melt butter in a sauté pan over medium heat. Add asparagus and leek and sauté for 8 minutes, stirring occasionally, until asparagus is slightly tender. Season with 1/8 teaspoon salt and pepper.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs, cottage cheese, and milk. Season with 1/8 teaspoon salt and pepper.
- Place prepared pie crust on a baking sheet (to avoid any spillage while baking). Add cheese, asparagus and leek, and top with egg mixture.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 50-60 minutes. Let sit for 10-15 minutes before serving.
Calories: 242 Total Fat: 14 g Sat. Fat: 6 g Trans Fat: 0 g Cholesterol: 6 mg Sodium: 354 mg Total Carbohydrate: 18 g Fiber: 1 g Sugar: 4 g Protein: 11 g
What spring produce are you most excited about? Favorite quiche ingredients? Ready. Set. Go.
For more egg and brunch ideas, see the recipes below for your next brunch:
I’m a nutrition coach and yoga teacher helping people to learn to love food again. I love cooking, taking pictures of my food and traveling around the world. Follow my blog for delicious, seasonal vegetarian recipes and simple strategies to bring more yoga and mindfulness into your life. And check out my e-book to learn how to improve your health through nutrition and yoga. Show me what deliciousness you make! Tag me @karalydonRD on Instagram.