Perfect for springtime, this charred asparagus salad with soft boiled egg is perfect for a spring brunch, holiday, or a fancy treat-yo-self lunch.
Truth be told, I came up with this recipe idea before things escalated. Before we were all hunkered down at home. Before we were told to stock up on shelf-stable items and avoid going to the grocery store if possible. I came up with this recipe when I thought the only food-related thing on people’s mind this month would be what to make for Easter and Passover. Oh, how the tides have turned.
So if this recipe doesn’t feel accessible to you right now, I get it and I see you. Bookmark it or pin it for later when we can head to the grocery store or Farmer’s market and pick up some fresh asparagus. The good news is it’s finally starting to feel like spring here in Boston. Last night I listened to a workshop from my back porch as the sun set. It’s felt so good for my body, mind, and soul to sit or walk (away from people) in the sunshine. The hot sun on my skin feels like some reminder that this too shall pass. Nature – the sun, the moon, the trees, the water, has always felt really grounding and therapeutic to me, and I find myself leaning on it heavily now.It’s going to be a very strange Easter for us (and I imagine for all of those who are celebrating) this year. We have an annual tradition of going to mass with one of our dearest friends and then going out to a special brunch afterward. We don’t often go out for brunch (because we usually spend money on eating dinner out on the weekends instead) so this always feels like a special treat. A part of me feels guilty admitting that I’m sad we can’t carry out our normal Easter brunch tradition because I recognize how extremely privileged I am that that is what I will grieve this weekend. But I’m learning that I can hold space for both – the sadness for the things I’m missing and the gratitude for the privilege I have.
How to Make Charred Asparagus Salad with Egg
If you are celebrating Easter this Sunday with your family and happen to have some asparagus on hand, this salad is a perfect side dish for brunch. It’s got crispy asparagus that’s been charred underneath the broiler, runny soft-boiled eggs, salty and nutty shaved asiago cheese, and a creamy, lemony, tangy vinaigrette to bring it all together. Arugula serves as the base but you can make it without or use a different salad base!Print
For the salad:
- 1 bunch asparagus (12 ounces), trimmed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 4 soft-boiled eggs*, halved or quartered
- 4 ounces asiago or manchego cheese, shaved
- 5 ounces arugula
For the dressing:
- 2 tablespoons minced shallot
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons Greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
For the salad:
- Preheat broiler. Line baking sheet with foil.
- Place asparagus onto baking sheet and toss with olive oil. Season with salt and pepper.
- Broil asparagus until charred, about 4-5 minutes.
- Assemble salad with arugula, asparagus, eggs and cheese. Toss with desired amount of dressing to coat. Serve with freshly ground cracked black pepper.
For the dressing:
- In a small bowl, whisk together shallot, lemon juice, dijon mustard, Greek yogurt, honey and lemon zest until combined. Slowly whisk in olive oil until emulsified. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
How to make soft-boiled eggs:
- In a medium saucepan, bring water to a boil. Add eggs so they are in an even layer at bottom of pot. Let boil for 7 minutes.
- In the meantime, prepare an ice bath.
- After 7 minutes, gently place eggs into ice bath and let cool before peeling.
- Prep Time: 7 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Salad
- Cuisine: Spring
Keywords: asparagus, salad, egg, charred, spring