A 5 ingredient healthy kale and quinoa bowl that uses only five ingredients and takes less than 25 minutes to make. I just recently watched Michael Pollan’s new documentary series on Netflix, Cooked. In the documentary, he goes back to the roots of cooking highlighting one element in each of the four episodes, water, fire, air and earth. He brings us back to how cooking takes real time and effort and how one of the problems we face today as Americans is that we lack the very thing that cooking requires, time. How as a country, we spend the least amount of time on cooking than any other.
It seems fitting that this month’s Recipe Redux is making 7 or less ingredient recipes because with tax season upon us, we’re all strapped for time. I appreciate the art of cooking from scratch, the time and care and love that it takes. But I also appreciate a good 5 ingredient meal that takes less than 30 minutes to make when I’m in a time pinch. Which is why I’m sharing one of my favorite healthy time saving meals here today. This was my go-to quick meal a few years back but I retired it for a while. I guess I got bored. But I’m happy to say I’m bringing it back into my repertoire.
Only 5 ingredients. Ready? Set. Go.
And then of course there are a few optional toppings ;). But you can make it in less than 25 minutes. Score!
This bowl is packed with nutrition too – protein, fiber, vitamins and minerals. Plus, it’s vegan-friendly and gluten-free!
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 bunch kale, de-stemmed and roughly chopped
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 3 ounces sun-dried tomatoes (approx. 1 cup), diced
- Juice from 1/2 large lemon
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Optional toppings: slivered almonds, Parmesan cheese or nutritional yeast
- Cook quinoa according to instructions on package.
- In a large saute pan, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add kale and toss to coat. Add 1/4 cup water and cover, cooking for 3-5 minutes. Uncover, toss, and turn heat down to low. Let cook for another 10-15 minutes, until tender, stirring occasionally, adding more water if needed. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Add quinoa and sun-dried tomatoes to saucepan and toss to combine. Add lemon juice and olive oil and toss to coat. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Optional: add toppings like slivered almonds, Parmesan cheese or nutritional yeast
Tell me, what’s your favorite 5-ingredient go-to meal? Check out these recipes for more similar dishes:
[inlinkz_linkup id=611230 mode=1]
I’m a nutrition coach and yoga teacher helping people to learn to love food again. I love cooking, taking pictures of my food and traveling around the world. Follow my blog for delicious, seasonal vegetarian recipes and simple strategies to bring more yoga and mindfulness into your life. And check out my e-book to learn how to improve your health through nutrition and yoga. Show me what deliciousness you make! Tag me @karalydonRD on Instagram.