A 5 ingredient healthy kale and quinoa bowl that uses only five ingredients and takes less than 25 minutes to make. I’ve been working on republishing some of my favorite recipes that could use an update because let’s be real, my photography has changed just a little bit over the last few years. And it’s a fun way for me to re-test and improve existing recipes on my site. This is one of those recipes that often gets featured in quick-and-easy meal round-ups because, well, 5 ingredients.
Who doesn’t love a 5-ingredient meal? We’re all so strapped for time today given the busy lives we lead that it can help to have a few go-to recipes that take less than 30 minutes to make. This is one of those recipes. It’s a great recipe when you’re craving something light, yet flavorful. And although there’s not a whole lot to this recipe, it doesn’t compromise on flavor. I love the sun-dried tomatoes and parmesan cheese in here because it gives the dish a boost of umami flavor and a little Italian flair as well. The quinoa is super fluffy and the slivered almonds give it a nice crunchy texture.
So what are the 5 ingredients?
And then of course there are a few optional toppings (like the almonds for crunch and parm cheese for umami flavor). But regardless of how many optional toppings you include, you can make it in less than 25 minutes. Score! Eat a big bowl on its own or pair it with a protein for a balanced, satisfying meal!This bowl is packed with nutrition too – protein, fiber, vitamins and minerals. Plus, it’s vegan-friendly (if you forego the optional parm or add nutritional yeast instead) and gluten-free if you have dietary restrictions.Print
- 1 cup dry quinoa
- 1 bunch kale, de-stemmed and roughly chopped
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 3 ounces sun-dried tomatoes (approx. 1 cup), diced
- Juice from 1/2 large lemon (approx 1 tablespoon)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Optional toppings: slivered almonds, Parmesan cheese or nutritional yeast
- Cook quinoa according to instructions on package.
- In a large saute pan, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium heat. Add kale and toss to coat. Add 1/4 cup water and cover, cooking for 3-5 minutes. Uncover, toss, and turn heat down to low. Let cook for another 10-15 minutes, until tender, stirring occasionally, adding more water if needed. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Add quinoa and sun-dried tomatoes to saucepan and toss to combine. Remove from heat. Add lemon juice and olive oil and toss to coat. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Optional: add toppings like slivered almonds, Parmesan cheese or nutritional yeast
This recipe was retested, reshot and revamped to bring you the most delicious (and most beautiful) dish! The original post was published October 2016.
Tell me, what’s your favorite 5-ingredient go-to meal?