This past Friday, Steve and I drove to Allendale Farms in Brookline to get our first Christmas tree together. I’d never been to Allendale Farms which is silly considering it’s a 5 minute drive from our apartment. Going there reminded me that I really need to look into getting a CSA next year. I was super psyched that not only did they have Christmas trees, but they had tons of fresh produce like apples, pomegranates, broccoli, fennel, onions, and kale!
I picked up apples, pomegranate, and dinosaur kale! Dinosaur kale, also known as Tuscan Kale, has blue-green narrow leaves with an embossed texture. It has a slightly sweeter taste than curly kale. Now I’m no stranger to kale. I love crunching into kale chips and scooping it up in a quinoa salad.
For dinner that night, I tossed together a quick, easy and cheap meal using our kale from Allendale.Print
Local Kale and White Bean Pasta
- 1/2 lb whole-wheat penne
- 2 bunches of local Dinosaur kale (any type of kale will do), stems removed and cut leaves in half
- 1 medium sweet onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup pasta water
- 1 15-oz can white kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesean
- Olive oil, salt and pepper to taste
- Cook pasta according to directions on package. Save 1/2 cup pasta water.
- In a large saucepan, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add diced onion and cook for a few minutes, until soft. Add garlic and let cook for 1 minute.
- Add kale and 1/2 cup pasta water. Toss to combine and cover and cook for a 5 minutes or until kale is wilted. Add beans and cooked pasta. Toss to combine.
- Add more olive oil, salt and pepper to taste. Top with Parmesean cheese.
We even ate on our Christmas plates and placemats. Fitting for a night of Christmas tree hunting.
I can’t wait to use the apples and dig into that pomegranate next! Stay tuned…
Have you tried Dinosaur Kale? Have you snagged any good farm fresh produce recently?
That’s great, Kerri! Thanks for sharing!
My Wellness Group has this new obsession with Kale, I emailed them your recipe, looks supper yummy and easy!
Looks delicious Kara! You always make me so hungry! 😀
Thanks Gregory!! Hope all is well! 🙂