But the million dollar question is what is the worthy recipe that will kick off slow cooker season in our household. This year it was curry.I’m a big fan of curry. I’ve been eating it since the first Thai restaurant opened up in my hometown when I was in high school. And I ate loads of it when I traveled to Thailand a few years back. And today I love a good Indian curry, filled with warming spices like turmeric, coriander, cloves, ginger, fenugreek and paprika. Today’s recipe is a slow cooker curry that’s kind of a hybrid between Indian and Thai. It’s made with Indian curry powder but has coconut milk, lime juice and peanut butter like you might find in Thai curry.
But the real beauty of this recipe is the fact that you can add all your ingredients, set it and forget it. Can I get an AMEN for the slow cooker?! I honestly don’t know what I’d do without it. Oh, JK, I do know – I’d spend hours upon hours in the kitchen. No thank youuuuu.I used chickpeas as the plant-based protein source because canned chickpeas are super easy and are a good source of fiber, folate and wait for it, protein. They’re also full of zinc, which is an important mineral for immune support (which I talk more about in my e-book Nourish Your Namaste: How Nutrition and Yoga Can Support Digestion, Immunity, Energy and Relaxation). Plus, I think chickpeas make an awesome base for a curry because they’re super hearty and filling. The kale and red bell pepper is added towards the end and provides an extra pop of color and a little more texture to the dish.
Serve with rice, cilantro, chopped peanuts and a squeeze of lime and you’re ready to roll. Print
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cans (15.5oz) chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15oz) can pumpkin puree or 1 3/4 cups
- 1/4 cup peanut butter
- 1 (13.6oz) can coconut milk
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 1/2 tablespoons curry powder
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1 small bunch kale, roughly chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- 1/2 lime, juiced
- Rice, chopped peanuts, cilantro and lime for serving
- In a 5 quart slow cooker, add onion, carrot, garlic, chickpeas, pumpkin, peanut butter, coconut milk, vegetable broth, curry powder and salt. Cover and cook on low for 8 hours or high for 4 hours.
- Stir in kale and red bell pepper and cook for another hour, leaving slow cooker uncovered. Add lime juice.
- Serve with rice, chopped peanuts, cilantro and lime.