Garlicky green goodness just in time for St. Patrick’s Day! This Vegan Asparagus Leek and Hemp Soup is super flavorful and made creamy using good ol’ hummus.I love a good spring soup recipe for that awkward winter to spring transition. You know the one – when you’re debating if you should retire your sweaters or if it’s time to break free from the tights and let your legs breathe a little. It’s not totally warm enough to be prancing around in a skirt but it’s also not so cold that you have to throw on your down coat. This is the time of year when I come down with a cold. When the weather can’t make up it’s gosh darn mind. Sure enough, right on schedule, I woke up with a sore throat last Saturday morning. I’ve been trying to take it easy this week as much as I can and of course am eating all the soups and taking all the vitamins, hoping it will knock out whatever ails me. And I’m hoping it happens before Sunday when I travel to NOLA for work!
#1 on my soup lineup this week has been this asparagus leek and hemp soup. Because it provides the warmth and comfort we need in the winter but its spring vegetables like asparagus and leeks hint at the promise of spring around the corner. Plus, it’s St. Paddy’s week so we must eat all the green things, obvs.
Also, we must eat all the nutritious things to keep our immune systems strong while the weather shifts! Luckily, asparagus, leeks and garlic are chock full of prebiotics, something I talk about in my upcoming e-book, Nourish Your Namaste. You can think of prebiotics as food for probiotics. Just as we need food and nourishment to thrive, so do our good bacteria friends. Prebiotics help probiotics thrive and do their work to help restore our digestive systems. The soup also gets a protein, fiber and omega-3 boost from the hemp seeds (Hemp Hearts) and Hemp Oil.
Plus, this soup is seriously delicious. The leeks and garlic pack in such a powerful flavor punch, which is brightened by the lemon and rounded out with the nuttiness of the hemp. Plus, the hummus makes the soup thick and creamy without adding any dairy!Make this soup while all the green things are trendy or to celebrate the (almost) beginning of spring!Print
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 leeks, trimmed, washed, and sliced
- 1 small clove garlic, minced
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- 1 lb. asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 8 ounces garlic hummus
- ¼ cup Manitoba Harvest Hemp Hearts
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- For garnish: Manitoba Harvest Hemp Oil and extra Hemp Hearts
- In a large pot or Dutch oven, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add leeks and cook for 5-7 minutes, or until softened.
- Add garlic and cook one minute, or until fragrant.
- Add vegetable stock and asparagus and stir. Bring to a boil and then cover pot and let simmer for 5-6 minutes, or until asparagus is tender.
- Remove pot from heat. Stir in hummus and Hemp Hearts. Using an immersion blender, blend soup until smooth and creamy. Stir in lemon juice, salt and pepper.
- Ladle soup into bowls and serve immediately. Garnish with a drizzle of Hemp Oil and a sprinkle of Hemp Hearts.
If you don’t have an immersion blender, you can transfer soup contents to a blender to puree.
Tell me, have you ever tried hemp seeds or hemp oil in soup before? Are you ready for an abundance of spring veggies?! For more recipes with hemp, check out the recipes below:
I’m a nutrition coach and yoga teacher helping people to learn to love food again. I love cooking, taking pictures of my food and traveling around the world. Follow my blog for delicious, seasonal vegetarian recipes and simple strategies to bring more yoga and mindfulness into your life. And check out my e-book to learn how to improve your health through nutrition and yoga. Show me what deliciousness you make! Tag me @karalydonRD on Instagram.