Nachos just reached a new level. These vegan apple pie nachos are a healthier (and tastier!) spin on traditional apple pie. Wow your holiday guests this year with a fun, innovative dessert.
Two days till Thanksgiving! Can you believe it’s here?!
Unless you’re a sweet tooth-aholic like me, dessert is probably the last thing on your mind. Because you’ve got other minor things to do like roast a turkey and make a gazillion side dishes. If you’re still wondering what you can whip up together for dessert that’s quick, delicious and better-for-you, you gotta try my apple pie nachos.
I know, I know. Nachos on Thanksgiving might sound a little blasphemous but these ain’t your average nachos. 1. They are dessert nachos (‘nough said). 2. They taste like someone dropped an apple pie on top of a plate of nachos. Therefore, totally acceptable as a holiday dessert.
Look, I’m all about tradition. I love making my naturally sweetened cranberry sauce every year. I look forward to putting my Tofurkey in the oven once a year and I enjoy watching Home Alone every Thanksgiving night just like every other adult who grew up in the 90s. Buuuuuut at some point, you gotta change things up, you know. Keep things interesting. Like watching Home Alone 2: Lost in New York, instead. Or, making dessert nachos for your guests.
These apple pie nachos pack in the flavor of your favorite classic dessert plus all the nutrition – whole grains, fiber, protein and healthy fats. The soft, mushy apples are delicious on top of the crispy sweet pita chips and with the crunch of the nutty toasted pecans. And it’s all brought together with the decadent tasting vegan caramel sauce.
You can serve these up as a creative dessert at your next holiday party or make it at home as a fun, family-friendly dessert. Or, if you’re like me, you can sit with an entire plate while watching Harry Potter weekend on Freeform (ps. what happened to ABC Family?). Oh, and that extra caramel sauce? Just put it on basically everything and you will be happy – apples, toast, oatmeal, baked goods, pancakes, waffles, ice cream, everything.
I hope each of you have a wonderful Thanksgiving filled with delicious food, loved ones and much gratitude. I’m grateful every year for all of you. Thank you for reading, commenting and sharing. You are the inspiration to keep creating nutritious and delicious recipes. You are the reason I get to do what I love. You are the reason I can work from home in my yoga pants every day :). Seriously though, thank you, thank you, thank you. xoxoPrint
For the nachos:
- 4 mini whole-wheat pita breads
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon, divided
- 2 teaspoons coconut sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 4 apples, cored and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 cup pecans, chopped
- Optional topping: Coconut whipped cream or vegan vanilla ice cream
For the caramel sauce:
- 1/3 cup coconut oil
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 3 tablespoons almond butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse sea salt
For the nachos:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cut each pita bread into 8 triangles. Place pita in a gallon-sized ziploc bag. Add coconut oil, 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, sugar and 1/8 teaspoon salt and shake until pita is evenly coated.
- Transfer pita to a parchment-lined baking sheet and bake, flipping over halfway through, for 15-20 minutes or until lightly browned and crispy.
- In a microwave-safe large mixing bowl, toss apples with cinnamon, nutmeg and remaining salt until coated. Microwave, stirring at 2 minute intervals, for 6 minutes or until apples are warm and tender.
- In a small saucepan, heat pecans over medium-high heat until fragrant.
- To assemble nachos, layer pita chips, apples, caramel sauce, pecans and optional dollop of coconut whipped cream or scoop of vegan vanilla ice cream.
For the caramel sauce:
- In a microwave-safe medium mixing bowl, heat coconut oil and maple syrup for one minute, or until melted. Whisk in almond butter, vanilla and salt until smooth and creamy.
- Drizzle over nachos.
Caramel sauce makes ~1/2 cup. Use leftovers on apples, toast, oatmeal, ice cream, baked goods and basically anything else because it’s DELICIOUS.