Looking to make New Year’s resolutions in a different way this year? Try vision boarding! I’ll give the low down here about how to create a vision board and why it’s such an enlightening process.
PS. Be sure to scroll all the way down to learn about the giveaway!Hey ya’ll,
I know it’s been a while since I wrote a Mindful Monday post but I’m happy to report that I’ll be here every Monday in December with ya’ll and hopefully that will carry into the New Year. I really miss our Mindful Monday chats, the real dialogue, the raw emotions, the community we cultivated where people feel safe to share their experiences. It’s a beautiful thing and always leaves me with a full and inspired heart. Thank you for being a part of that.
I’ve been taking some “me time” lately. I’m currently wrapping up a meditation course. I went through another e-course all about self trust and I did some vision boarding. When I mentioned on the blog that I was going to create a vision board, I asked ya’ll if you’d be interested in learning about the process and my experience with it and you said yeah, that you’d be into it. So, here I am. About to tell you about my experience with making a vision board.
But first…a Nourish Your Namaste e-Book Special!
I wanted to tell you guys about the e-book special I have running this month! From December 1st-24th, if you purchase Nourish Your Namaste e-book at $14.99, you’ll receive the Level 2 package ($29.99 value) as a free bonus! That means you’ll get two grocery shopping lists for digestion and immunity and a bonus recipe book including 25 Nourish Your Namaste approved recipes. ANDDDD the first three people to purchase the e-book this month receive Level 3 package ($99.99 value!) as a free bonus. You’ll get everything in Level 2 PLUS two grocery shopping lists for energy and relaxation, a 21 day Nourish Your Namaste meal plan and two meditation and breath work videos. There is ONE spot left for the Level 3 package bonus so don’t wait to buy! I had some people ask me if they could gift this for the holidays and the answer is YES!
Head on over to my Nourish Your Namaste page to learn more about the e-book and to snag your bonus offer!
Ok, now back to vision boards…
Why Vision Boards?
I think in our society we have a habit of going, going, going like the Energizer Bunny and don’t really carve out time or space to reflect on the direction we’re going in. Are we happy? Are we satisfied? Are we fulfilled? Are we living intentionally and with purpose? Does something have to give? Do we need to make a change? To me, vision boarding is that time for reflection. To create a visual, abstract representation of what you want out of life. To create a vision for your purpose, your calling. And we know that visualization is powerful stuff. The more you visualize what you want, the more you put it out there in the universe, the more you will attract it. That vision board can be a daily visualization exercise for you. Keep it at your desk or somewhere you will see it everyday and take just a few seconds everyday to look at it and remind yourself of what it is you want out of life and how you want to feel.What You’ll Need to Create a Vision Board:
Old magazines and catalogs
Tape or glue
Meaningful trinkets or notes
Peace and quiet
A candleHow to Vision Board:
I was inspired to vision board after listening to a One Part Plant podcast interview with Grace Bonney of Design Sponge. She talked about her experience with vision boarding and said that she just flips through magazines and cuts out whatever speaks to her, without thinking too much into it. Then, once she’s all done, she notices patterns in the things she cut out. And in her experience, when she looks back at the vision boards she’s made, she said they have been a sign of what is to come in her life. So perhaps the visualization exercise invited those things into her life! The law of attraction is powerful stuff, people.
- Create a quiet space for yourself and carve out a couple hours in your day to do this. Turn off the TV, phone, iPad, etc.
- Light a candle to invite in a level of sacredness to your activity. Make it feel special.
- Start flipping through old magazines, catalogs, etc. and cut out anything that speaks to you. This could be pictures, quotes, words, anything. Don’t overthink it. If it speaks to you, cut it out.
- Start piecing together your visuals on your vision board. How do you want your vision board to look? Do you want to leave a lot of white space in between your images or do you want everything to overlap?
- Start glueing/taping things down!
- I tried to piece similar images together on my vision board to make it easier to identify some themes.
- Spend some time looking at your finished board! Notice what comes up. How you feel. What resonates with you.
- Hang your board some where you’ll see it everyday.
My Vision Board Experience:
It was such a different, fun, enlightening activity. As someone who tends to overthink things, it was also a good exercise in not overanalyzing. To just cut out a picture because it stood out to me and not try to figure out its meaning or significance. It’s fun too because you kind of have to just trust the process. That all these random pictures and things will somehow make some semblance of sense once all down on poster board. And that’s exactly what happened. Once I started putting the images down on the poster board, a few themes became pretty evident:
- I have a fiery passion for travel and exploration. I noticed lots of images of far off places, lots of images of being in nature, hiking, the vibrant colors of Cuba…
- I want to feel strong. I don’t care about being skinny. I don’t care about having a six pack. I want to feel strong. I found myself cutting out pictures of women who looked strong and looked totally comfortable and confident in their bodies.
- I guess I want a dog? This one shocked me, actually. Because we have a cat who I’m obsessed with and I always turn down the idea of a dog because I don’t want to cramp the cat’s style. Plus, dogs are soooo much work and most days I can barely take care of myself and the cat, let alone another furry, breathing living thing. But there I was staring at lots of pictures of dogs. Women with dogs. Dogs with bows tied around their necks. Sooooo…perhaps a dog is in our future? We shall see.
- I aspire to feel carefree. I found myself drawn to pictures of women dancing or laughing or with big ass grins on their faces with bright bold lipstick. I was drawn to pictures that emulated how I want to feel in my life. Most days I don’t cultivate a sense of “carefreeness”. Most days I’m hustling trying to grow my business and I have a tendency to take life too seriously sometimes (it’s the perfectionist in me). But my heart is happiest and my soul is the fullest when I’m doing something that’s fun or I feel totally carefree. I often feel this way when traveling. Perhaps that’s one of the reasons I seek it out so much.
- I want my home space to emulate my spirit. I gravitated towards pictures of rooms that were open, bright, minimalistic and natural. Net net: I would love to style my home in a way that resonates with me and how I want to feel in it. Soooo one day when we buy that house….lol.
- I want to help people. I was drawn to pictures of yoga teachers helping students in their poses, pictures of beautiful nutritious food and pictures of women cooking. It affirmed my purpose in my brand – to help people heal holistically, through nourishing their mind and spirit with yoga and nourishing their bodies with delicious food.
Are You Ready to Vision Board?
As we get ready to close out 2016 and start a new year, I don’t think there’s a better time to create a vision board. Use your vision board to help you map out your intentions and desires and purpose for the new year. If nothing else, it’s just a nice activity to carve out some quiet space and just be with yourself. Think of it as quality YOU time.
I’m going to be recommending this to my coaching clients as a way to get in touch with what they really want out of life and to help them use visualization to get there.
I hope that you’ll try this if you never have before. And I’d love to hear from you if you’ve already tried it – what was your process like? What did you uncover?
And now…for the GIVEAWAY!!
This giveaway is going to be a little different. It’s going to run for two weeks and each week I’m going to announce another prize or two for the giveaway! More prizes. More chances to win!
This week, I’m announcing the Live Infinitely yoga apparel and infused water bottle.The water bottle has a spot in the middle for fruits, veggies, herbs, anything that you’d want to flavor your water with. The water gets flavored. Your thirst gets quenched. You don’t have pieces of fruit hitting your lips as you drink. And you get hydrated. Wins all around.The yoga tank is super comfy and I love the messaging on it: Live bigger. Live bolder. YES!If you want to enter to win the water bottle and tank, be sure to enter below. And check back each week to see what the other prizes are!
a Rafflecopter giveaway
I’m a nutrition coach and yoga teacher helping people to learn to love food again. I love cooking, taking pictures of my food and traveling around the world. Follow my blog for delicious, seasonal vegetarian recipes and simple strategies to bring more yoga and mindfulness into your life. And check out my e-book to learn how to improve your health through nutrition and yoga. Show me what deliciousness you make! Tag me @karalydonRD on Instagram.