- 28 oz can whole peeled tomatoes
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 1/2 large yellow onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large eggplant, cubed
- 2 bell peppers, cubed
- 2 zucchini squash, cubed
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- Splash of red wine vinegar
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a casserole dish or rimmed baking sheet, roast tomatoes with 2 tbsp olive oil for 30 minutes.
- Salt the eggplant and let sit in a colander for 15-30 minutes to remove juices. Pat dry with a paper towel.
- Add olive oil to a dutch oven over medium heat. Once hot, add the onions and garlic to the pot. Cook the onions, stirring occasionally, until they are wilted and lightly caramelized, about 5 to 10 minutes.
- Add the peppers and salt and pepper and continue to cook, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes. Add the eggplant, zucchini, roasted tomatoes, bay leaf and thyme.
- Bring to a simmer and let gently simmer for about 15 minutes. Remove from heat. Add a splash of red wine vinegar and salt and pepper to taste.
We served ours with whole-wheat penne and sprinkled Parmesan cheese. Super simple and delicious. We’ll definitely be making this again come Summer after we hit up a Farmer’s Market.
I’m a nutrition coach and yoga teacher helping people to learn to love food again. I love cooking, taking pictures of my food and traveling around the world. Follow my blog for delicious, seasonal vegetarian recipes and simple strategies to bring more yoga and mindfulness into your life. And check out my e-book to learn how to improve your health through nutrition and yoga. Show me what deliciousness you make! Tag me @karalydonRD on Instagram.