Bok Choy don’t care. Spice it up with this delicious Thai-inspired vegan-friendly spicy peanut tofu and bok choy rice bowl. Warning: You won’t want bok choy any other way. Oh, hello September. I didn’t see you there. Translation: I’m sorry, whaaaaaaat?! How is it September already?!?! Luckily the temps still scream summer here in Boston so I’m just going to pretend it’s still socially acceptable to go to the beach for as long as I can drag that out. Plus, I’m still eating all the summer vegetables. Like bok choy.
There’s something about a peanut sauce that gets me every. damn. time. I can’t resist. Which is why I slather all the healthy things in peanut sauce so that I enjoy each and every bite. This time, it was bok choy from the CSA. Bok choy is also known as Chinese cabbage. It’s packed with vitamins C and K and works really well in stir-fries (if you missed my latest video on how to use bok choy and other veggies in my CSA box, check it out).
I paired the bok choy with baked tofu, crushed peanuts, brown rice and scallions for garnish. The peanut sauce was made with (you guessed it) peanut butter, soy sauce, and taken to the next heat level with Sriracha. The sauce brings me back to the delicious peanut curries I had in Thailand. But don’t worry, it’s by no means as spicy as what you’d get in Thailand. However, if you’re a mouth-on-fire-loving dude or dudette, bump the Sriracha up a notch!
This is a super easy and well-balanced meal to make for a weeknight dinner and to have leftovers for lunch the following day.
Healthy fats? Check.
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 2 tbsp Sriracha (or to taste)
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1/4 cup + 1 tbsp peanut butter
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 14oz extra-firm tofu, pressed and cut into 8 slices
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 bunch bok choy, roughly chopped
- 4 cups brown rice
- 1/4 cup crushed peanuts
- 1/4 cup scallions
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a bowl, whisk soy sauce, rice vinegar, Sriracha, brown sugar, peanut butter and salt until combined.
- Brush both sides of tofu slices with peanut sauce. Place on parchment lined baking sheet and bake for 35 minutes, flipping over halfway through.
- In a large sauté pan, heat sesame oil over medium heat. Add garlic and bok choy and toss to coat. Add remaining sauce and sauté for 5-8 minutes or until greens are wilted and crisp-tender.
- Divide rice between four bowls. Top with bok choy, tofu, crushed peanuts and scallions.
Tell me, what’s your favorite way to prepare bok choy?