A plant-based spin on a traditional Irish dish, this vegan colcannon is the perfect side to make on St. Patrick’s Day or any time you’re feeling particularly Irish.
- 5 small to medium russet potatoes (about 2 lbs), peeled and cut into large chunks (about 5 cups)*
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 leek, trimmed and thinly sliced (about 2 cups sliced)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 3 lightly packed cups kale, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup vegan buttery spread, divided
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
- Add potatoes to a medium pot. Cover with cold water so potatoes are covered by an inch of water. Salt the water (about 1 tablespoon).
- Bring potatoes to a boil and boil until fork tender, about 15 minutes. Drain in colander.
- In the same pot, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add leeks and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add kale and toss to coat. Add water, cover and cook for 3-5 minutes. Remove cover and reduce heat to low, stirring occasionally. Cook until kale is tender, about 5 minutes. Season with nutmeg, salt and pepper.
- Add potatoes back to pot along with vegan buttery spread and almond milk and mash until creamy and combined with kale mixture. Season with more salt and pepper, to taste.
- Transfer to a serving dish and create a well in the middle of the potatoes to add remaining 2 tablespoons buttery spread to.
- Serve immediately.
If substituting cauliflower for potatoes…
- You’ll need 1 medium head of cauliflower or 6 cups cauliflower florets. Use 1/3 cup almond milk instead of 1/2 cup.
- Place cauliflower in a steam basket or colander in a pot. Add enough water to pot to cover bottom about 1/2 inch. Cover cauliflower with lid and bring water to a simmer to steam until cauliflower is fork tender, about 6-7 minutes.
- Meanwhile, sauté leeks in olive oil until softened, about 3-5 minutes. Add garlic and cook until fragrant.
- Stir in kale and water. Cover and sauté until softened, about 3 minutes.
- Remove cover and turn down heat to low. Season with nutmeg, salt and pepper. Let kale cook until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Transfer steamed cauliflower to a food processor. Add almond milk and 2 tablespoons buttery spread and pulse until smooth and creamy. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Transfer to a serving bowl and fold in kale mixture.
- Create a well in the middle of cauliflower to add remaining 2 tablespoons buttery spread to.
- Category: Side dish
- Cuisine: Irish
Keywords: vegan colcannon, cauliflower colcannon, vegan irish recipe