- 1 16-ounce stale loaf of white or sourdough bread, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 extra-large or 2 medium onions, diced
- 4 large celery stalks, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lb mushrooms, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh sage leaves
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- 2 eggs
- 3 cups chicken broth (or vegetable broth)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts
- In a large saute pan, melt butter over medium-high heat. Add the onions, celery and garlic and cook until tender, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add mushrooms, sage, rosemary and thyme and cook until mushrooms are tender, about 5 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs, chicken broth, salt and pepper.
- In a greased slow cooker, add bread and fold in walnuts.
- Pour broth mixture over bread and gently toss to evenly coat the bread.
- Cover and cook on low for 3-4 hours.