Delicious, comforting, easy and budget-friendly, these Greek baked beans are made in the slow cooker for convenience! Set it and forget it.
- 1 pound dry Gigantes beans (or dry lima beans), soaked overnight or for at least for 8 hours
- 1 yellow onion, diced (approx 2 cups)
- 3 stalks celery, diced (approx 1 cup)
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 28 ounces canned crushed tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon ground oregano
- 1 tablespoon ground thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 4 cups water
- 1/2 cup Greek olive oil
- Optional, for serving: fresh baked bread, feta cheese
- Place all ingredients: beans, onion, celery, garlic, tomatoes, oregano, thyme, bay leaves, salt, water, and olive oil in the slow cooker. Cook on low until beans are tender, about 8 hours.
- Optional: serve with fresh baked bread and feta cheese.
- You can find gigantes beans on Amazon but I would imagine a Greek specialty food market would carry them as well.
- If you can’t easily find gigantes beans, you can substitute lima beans.
- Be sure to soak the beans overnight so beans are tender after cooking. If you don’t soak the beans first, you may find the beans are still not tender after 8 hours.
- Method: Slow Cooker
- Cuisine: Greek
Keywords: greek baked beans, greek beans slow cooker, greek beans in crockpot