Less than 10 minutes to prep these slow cooker baked apples! Your slow cooker does all the work and all you have to worry about is enjoying this delicious fall (or holiday!) treat. Easy to make gluten-free too!
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 5 tablespoons butter, divided
- 5 medium-large apples (I used Cortland)
- 1/2 cup water
- Optional toppings: vanilla ice cream, salted caramel sauce
- In a medium bowl, add oats, flour, brown sugar, sugar, cinnamon and salt. Stir to combine.
- Core apples using an apple corer or sharp knife. Slice off the top of the apple so that the top is even.
- Stuff the empty apple cavity with the oats mixture, pressing down firmly to pack in. Cover the top of the apple with additional oat mixture.
- Add water to the crockpot and carefully place apples in so that they are standing upright. Add a tablespoon of butter on top of each apple. Cook on low for 4-5 hours or high for 2 – 2 1/2 hours. Remove from the crockpot and let cool for 5-10 minutes.
- Optional: Top with ice cream and/or salted caramel sauce.
- Core apples so that you leave 1/4 inch apple at the bottom to easily pack in oat mixture. Or, you can core out the middle so you can see through the apple. Then with the apple on a hard surface, add oat mixture and press down firmly with fingers to pack it in. Continue to add more, packing down firmly, until you can’t add anymore.
- Recipe can easily be made gluten-free and/or vegan by substituting gluten-free flour and plant-based butter spread.
- You can use any apple variety fit for baking such as cortland, jonagold, honeycrisp, braeburn, or pink lady.
- If you like extra soft/tender apples, cook on high for four hours or on low for six hours.
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Slow Cooker
- Cuisine: Fall
Keywords: slow cooker baked apples, crockpot baked apples, apple dessert in slow cooker