A vegetarian play on carnitas, these instant pot jackfruit tacos are going to satisfy your weeknight craving for Mexican food.
For the jackfruit carnitas:
- 2, 20-ounce cans jackfruit, drained and rinsed
- 1 red onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 1 chipotle in adobo sauce, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 3/4 cup vegetable broth
- Salt to taste
- Corn tortillas, warmed
- Avocado, sliced
- Lime wedges
- Greek yogurt or sour cream
- Shred the jackfruit using your fingers or a knife so that it looks similar to pulled pork consistency.*
- Add shredded jackfruit, onion, garlic, cumin, chili powder, smoked paprika, oregano, chipotle pepper, tomato paste, soy sauce and vegetable broth to the Instant Pot and stir to combine.
- Secure lid onto Instant Pot. Close the steam vent (should be on sealing). Set to high pressure for 8 minutes. Allow natural pressure release for 10-15 minutes.
- After 10-15 minutes, use quick release valve to release steam.
- Once pressure is released, open lid and stir jackfruit. Season with salt, to taste.
For the tacos:
- Assemble tacos by evenly distributing jackfruit carnitas, avocado, corn, lime, and cilantro among corn tortillas. Serve immediately.
You could also shred the jackfruit with a fork after it is done cooking.