- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1.5 lbs lean beef stew meat (round chuck)
- 8 ounces sliced mushrooms (white button or crimini/baby bella)
- 1 can Guinness (14.9 ounces)
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 2 celery sticks, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 cup beef stock
- 1 1/2 lbs yukon gold potatoes (about 4), peeled and quartered
- 4 to 5 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- Salt and pepper to taste (I used about 1 teaspoon salt)
- Add 1 tablespoon olive oil to Instant Pot on saute function. Once the oil is hot, add beef (working in two batches) and let cook about 3 minutes on each side, or until browned. Set aside on a plate.
- Add remaining olive oil and add mushrooms and saute 4 minutes on each side, or until browned. Set aside.
- Add Guinness to deglaze the pan. Add beef, onions, celery, garlic, tomato paste, Dijon mustard, Worcestershire sauce, sugar, bay leaves, thyme and beef stock. Secure lid, make sure valve is set to sealing and set Instant Pot to Meat/Stew function for 30 minutes.
- Use quick release valve to release steam.
- Remove lid, add potatoes and carrots. Secure lid back on and set to pressure cook/manual for four minutes.
- Use quick release valve to release steam. Remove lid and stir in sauteed mushrooms.
- In a small bowl, mix cornstarch with two teaspoons water. Add cornstarch slurry to the stew and stir in to thicken.
- Add salt and pepper, to taste.