- 2 cups whole-wheat pastry flour*
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup brown sugar, lightly packed
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp Meyer lemon juice
- 1 1/2 tbsp Meyer lemon zest
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Optional: 1/2 tsp raw turbinado sugar for dusting
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and line a muffin tin with paper liners.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and sugars.
- In a medium mixing bowl, mix together ricotta cheese, applesauce, egg, lemon juice and zest, and vanilla.
- Fold the wet ingredients into the dry until just combined (be careful not to over mix).
- Evenly distribute muffin batter to the paper-lined muffin tin. Optional: dust tops of muffins with raw sugar.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 20-25 minutes, or until golden-brown.**
- Let muffins cool in pan for 5 minutes and then remove muffins from pan and let continue to cool on a wire rack.
*If you’re not used to the texture of whole-wheat muffins, try starting with 1 cup all-purpose flour and 1 cup whole-wheat pastry flour.
**Insert a toothpick into the center of one of the muffins to check to see if they’re done. Toothpick should come out clean.