- 5 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups white whole-wheat flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon tbsp caraway seeds
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup low-fat plain Greek yogurt
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Melt 4 tablespoons butter with buttermilk in a small sauce pan over medium-low heat. Set aside to cool.
- In a large mixing bowl, add flours, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, caraway seeds, and raisins.
- Add the buttermilk/butter mixture to the dry ingredients and mix together. Fold the yogurt into the dough.
- Turn dough out onto lightly floured surface. Knead for 30-60 seconds and form into a round loaf. Lightly cut a cross in the top of the loaf with a serrated knife. Melt remaining butter and brush melted butter all over the loaf.
- Transfer loaf to a baking sheet and bake at 400 degrees F until golden brown and a toothpick inserted in middle comes out clean, about 45-55 minutes. Let cool on wire rack and serve warm or at room temperature.
- Category: Holiday
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: Irish
Keywords: Irish, St. Patrick's Day, soda bread, whole wheat, healthy