- 1 lb. store-bought pizza dough
- Olive oil for brushing
- 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper, divided
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons shallot, minced (approx 1 shallot)
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 small bunch of kale, stems removed, leaves roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon liquid smoke
- 6.5 ounces canned chopped clams (about 1/3 cup), juice reserved
- 1 tablespoon white wine
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice (approx 1 small/medium lemon)
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Crushed red pepper, for serving
- Preheat oven to 550 degrees F and adjust the rack to the lower middle of the oven. If you have a pizza stone, place it on the lower rack.
- Cut dough in half. Roll each half of dough out until it is 1/4 inch thick. Place dough on a cornmeal dusted pizza peel or 12 inch piece of parchment paper. Lightly brush dough with olive oil and sprinkle with 1/8 teaspoon salt and pepper.
- In a large saute pan, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add shallot and garlic, cooking until softened, about 2 minutes. Add kale and toss to coat. Add 1/4 cup reserved clam juice and cover pan. Cook for 5-8 minutes, or until kale is wilted. Remove cover and turn heat down to low. Cook until liquid has evaporated, about 5-10 minutes. Add liquid smoke and toss to coat. Season with remaining salt and pepper.
- Stir in clams, white wine and lemon juice and let cook for another 5 minutes.
- Spread clam and kale mixture over dough. Using a pizza peel or parchment paper on the back of a baking sheet, slide your pizza onto the pizza stone or another baking sheet. Bake for 5-7 minutes, remove parchment paper if used, rotate pizza and add Parmesan cheese. Bake for another 3-4 minutes, or until crust is golden-brown and cheese is just starting to brown.
- Let pizza cool slightly until you’re ready to handle. Slice and serve with crushed red pepper.