- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1.25 lbs boneless, skinless chicken thigh (about 5 pieces)
- 1 small or 1/2 large onion, diced (about 1 cup)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, stems and ribs removed, minced
- 4 small sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed (about 4 cups)
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1, 14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 3/4 cup peanut butter
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika (or 1 teaspoon paprika and 1 teaspoon cumin)
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 cups packed kale (or other leafy green)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Rice, for serving
- Cilantro and crushed peanuts, for garnish
- In a large sauté pan, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium-high heat. Add chicken and brown on each side, about 5-7 minutes. Set chicken aside.
- Add remaining olive oil and turn down heat to medium. Add onion and cook until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and jalapeño and sauté until fragrant, about one minute. Add cubed sweet potato and stir.
- Add broth slowly, deglazing the pan. Add diced tomatoes, tomato paste, peanut butter, spices, and salt.
- Bring to a simmer, reduce heat to low, and cook, covered, for 60 minutes. Remove lid and let simmer til sweet potatoes are tender, another 30 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Stir in kale until slightly wilted and bright green, about 3-5 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Using two forks, shred chicken in the pan.
- Serve with rice and garnish with cilantro and crushed peanuts.
To make in the Slow Cooker:
- Add all ingredients except olive oil and kale to slow cooker. Cook on low for 7-8 hours or high for 3-4 hours. Stir in kale until slightly wilted and bright green. Using two forks, shred chicken in slow cooker.
To make in the Instant Pot:
- Set Instant Pot to sauté and brown chicken as directed above. Set aside chicken.
- Sauté onion, garlic and jalapeño as directed above. Add all other ingredients except kale.
- Secure lid onto Instant Pot. Close the steam vent (should be on sealing). Set to high pressure for 5 minutes. Allow natural pressure release for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, use quick release valve to release steam.
- Once pressure is released, open lid and stir. Stir in kale until slightly wilted and bright green.
- Using two forks, shred chicken.
To make vegetarian or vegan:
- Substitute chicken with plant-based protein like chickpeas or lentils.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: One Pan
- Cuisine: West African
Keywords: west african, peanut, stew, chicken, one pan, instant pot, slow cooker