- 2 cups canned coconut milk*
- 1/4 cup Vietnamese coffee grounds (or chicory coffee)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk
- 5 egg yolks
- If your ice cream maker has a bowl that needs to be frozen for churning, be sure to freeze it the night before.
- Combine coconut milk, coffee and salt in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Bring to just before boil and remove from heat and let steep for 20 minutes. Using a cheese cloth or fine mesh strainer, strain liquid, discarding solids. Return liquid to saucepan over medium-heat until heated through.
- In a separate medium bowl, beat egg yolks and condensed milk until smooth. Slowly whisk in hot liquid until smooth. Cover with plastic wrap, pressing it against the custard. Chill in the refrigerator for at least 3 hours or up to overnight.
- Add custard mixture to ice cream maker and churn according to manufacturer’s instructions, about 20-30 minutes.
- Once the ice cream is done churning, using a spatula, transfer ice cream to a freezer safe container (loaf pan works well) and let harden in the freezer for at least 4-6 hours.