Ready in less than 30 minutes, this vegetarian rice pilaf is packed with flavor and has a mouthwatering light and fluffy texture! The perfect side dish to serve with a protein and vegetable.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ medium or ¼ large yellow onion, diced (about ½ cup)
- 1 carrot, peeled and diced (about ½ cup)
- 2 cremini mushrooms or ½ cup sliced cremini mushrooms, diced (about ½ cup)
- ½ cup peas
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 cup Lundberg Family Farms Long Grain White Rice, rinsed under cold water
- 1 ¾ cups vegetable broth
- ¼ cup golden raisins
- ¼ cup sliced almonds
- Optional: fresh parsley, chopped, for garnish
- In a large nonstick pan, heat oil over medium heat.
- Add onion, carrot, and mushroom and sauté until onion is translucent and carrots and mushrooms have softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in peas. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Stir in rice to coat with oil. Cook, stirring occasionally, until rice is fragrant and toasted, about 5 minutes.
- Pour in vegetable broth, add more salt to taste (I used ½ teaspoon), increase heat to medium-high and bring to boil.
- Reduce heat to low, cover, and cook until rice is tender and absorbed all liquid, about 16-18 minutes.
- Remove pan from heat and let sit covered for about 7-10 minutes.
- Remove lid and fluff rice using a fork.
- Stir in raisins and almonds.
- Optional: garnish with chopped parsley.
- Use a nonstick pan so that you can toast rice for about 5 minutes without it sticking to the pan.
- You can use brown rice instead of white rice – you’ll just need to adjust the cooking time as brown rice takes longer to cook than white rice.
- You can essentially add any vegetables you want to this vegetarian version, just keep the total amount of vegetables to no more than 2 cups diced/chopped.
- Store rice pilaf in the refrigerator for up to 4 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months.
- To reheat from frozen: Thaw overnight in the refrigerator. Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a medium skillet. Add rice mixture and cook, stirring occasionally, until warmed, about 5-7 minutes. Serve immediately.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Category: Side dish
- Method: Stovetop
Keywords: vegetarian rice pilaf, rice pilaf with vegetables