- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small-medium onion, diced (approx 1 cup)
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced (approx 1 cup)
- 2 small or 1 large parsnip, peeled and diced (approx 1 cup)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- 8 ounces sliced cremini mushrooms
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup dry green lentils, rinsed and drained
- 1 bunch sage (about 5 leaves), chopped
- 1 bunch thyme (about 3–4 sprigs), chopped
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch or arrowroot powder
- 3 lbs. cauliflower florets (approx 3 heads cauliflower)
- 1/3 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 3 tablespoons vegan buttery spread
- In a dutch oven, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onion, carrot, and parsnip and cook until onions are translucent and veggies are slightly tender, about 5-7 minutes.
- Stir in garlic and mushrooms and cook until mushrooms are tender and lightly browned, about 5 minutes.
- Add vegetable broth, lentils, thyme and sage. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and let simmer until lentils are tender, about 35-45 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- While lentils are cooking, steam cauliflower florets until fork tender and transfer to a food processor (you may need to do this in batches depending on size of food processor). Add almond milk, vegan buttery spread and pulse to a smooth and creamy puree. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Once lentils are done cooking, thicken the mixture. Add cornstarch or arrowroot to a heaping spoonful of the lentil mixture in a separate bowl. Whisk together. Add thickened mixture back to the pot and whisk in. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Transfer lentil mixture to a 9×13 baking dish or 2 qt baking dish. Carefully spread mashed cauliflower evenly over top.
- Bake at 425 degrees for 10 minutes and then transfer to under the broiler until mashed cauliflower begins to turn golden brown, about 5 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool briefly before serving.
- Category: Dinner
- Cuisine: Vegan
Keywords: vegan, lentil, shepherds pie, cauliflower, gluten free