- 1 large butternut squash (2.5 lbs), halved vertically and seeded
- 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon olive oil, divided
- Salt and pepper
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1/4 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 3/4 teaspoon cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
- Up to 3 cups vegetable broth (will depend on size of your squash – I used 2.5 cups)
- 2/3 cup canned coconut milk
- Optional garnish: pepitas
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Brush squash with 1 teaspoon olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Turn squash cut side down and bake until tender, about 45-55 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a medium pot over medium heat. Add onion and cook until translucent, about 5-7 minutes. Transfer to high-speed blender if using it.
- Once butternut squash is cooled, scoop out flesh and transfer to high-speed blender (or pot on stovetop if you don’t have one).
- Add pumpkin pie spice, cardamom, salt, white pepper, and up to 3 cups vegetable broth.
- Set high-speed blender to soup setting or let blend at highest speed for 6 minutes. If using the stove top, bring to a boil and remove from heat. Use an immersion blender to puree until smooth and creamy.
- Stir or blend in coconut milk. Season with additional salt, to taste.
- Garnish with pepitas and a drizzle of coconut milk.