Cozy and comforting, this slow cooker potato leek soup is easy to prep in 30 minutes while the slow cooker does the rest of the work! Made with Greek yogurt for an extra nutrition punch!
- 2 lbs Yukon Gold potatoes (4–5 small to medium potatoes), peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 leeks, white and light green parts only, washed and sliced (about 3 cups sliced)
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 5 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- Optional: chopped chives, for garnish
- In a sauté pan, add olive oil over medium heat. Add leeks and onion and cook until leeks are softened and onion is translucent, about 6-8 minutes. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about one minute.
- Add leek mixture to slow cooker along with potatoes, bay leaf, thyme, and broth.
- Cover and cook until potatoes are fork-tender, about 8 hours on low or about 4 hours on high.
- Remove the thyme sprigs and bay leaf. Using an immersion blender or transferring soup to a high-speed blender, blend ingredients until smooth and creamy.
- Add lemon juice and fold in Greek yogurt. Season with salt and pepper.
- Optional: garnish with chives
- Keep yogurt close to room temperature before incorporating into the soup to prevent curdling.
- If transferring soup to blender, depending on the size of your blender you may have to work in batches.
- Soup can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 4-5 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months.
To make this in the Instant Pot
- Add olive oil and use sauté function to saute leeks and onions for 6-8 minutes. Add garlic and cook for one minute.
- Add potatoes, bay leaf, thyme, and broth.
- Secure the lid on the Instant Pot. Close the steam vent (should be on sealing). Set to high manual pressure for 8 minutes. Carefully turn quick release valve to venting to release the steam.
- Remove the thyme sprigs and bay leaf. Using an immersion blender or transferring soup to a high-speed blender, blend ingredients until smooth and creamy. Stir in Greek yogurt and lemon. Season with salt and pepper.
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Cook Time: 4 hours
- Category: Soup
- Method: Slow Cooker
Keywords: slow cooker potato leek soup, potato leek soup in the slow cooker, crock pot potato leek soup