- 1 stick unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 4 cups flour
- 4 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp caraway seeds
- 1 cup currants or 1/2 cup raisins
- Melt butter with buttermilk on stove and set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine: flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, carraway seeds, and currants/raisins. Mix together well.
- Add the buttermilk/butter mixture to the dry ingredients and mix together.
- Turn out onto floured table or board and knead lightly until no longer sticky. Form into round loaf and cut a cross into the top.
- Finally, brush with melted butter and bake at 425 for 30 – 35 min.